Chipper Woods 5000 Chipper - Used Year 2001 is $1500 a reasonable price?

/ Woods 5000 Chipper - Used Year 2001 is $1500 a reasonable price? #1  

brcompton

Tractor
Kubota B2710
I came across a used Woods 5000 Chipper/Shredder. I am told the model year is 2001 and is in very good condition. I have not see the unit yet. It is an 80 mile drive to look at it so I want to make sure the asking price is reasonable assuming the unit is as described. I have a project where I will need about 140 yards of chips/mulch. I have 5 acres of forest that need to be cleaned up. Buying a chipper seems to make sense when I look at the cost of purchasing them and having them delivered. So is $1500 a reasonable asking price for the Woods 5000. Any other comments would be appreciated. I will be using a Kubota B2710 which has a PTO of 20 hp. The tractor is 4 cyc diesel, 27 hp.

/ Woods 5000 Chipper - Used Year 2001 is $1500 a reasonable price? #2  
I think you're going to burn a lot of diesel and time trying to chip 140 yards. And it will require an awful lot of material. My Wallenstein will take a pile of brush the size of a car and reduce it down to about 1/3 yard after a good deal of time and effort feeding the material. For most efficient use, bring the chipper to where the material is and leave your chip pile in place. If you have to drag the material to a central site where you need your 140 yards, that is going to kill productivity. Just doesn't seem feasible to me. I can buy cheap mulch here for $11 per yard!

/ Woods 5000 Chipper - Used Year 2001 is $1500 a reasonable price? #3  
That's like 10 big big dump trucks of mulch.

I really think it's overly optimistic that you will be able to get that done with the b machine and hand filling.

I'd try and rent a 20“ inlet hydraulic fed, v8 powered chipper that can take real large hunks. The 5000 max is 5", but probably 4 is tge practical max. Clearing 5 acres with that .... a life project.

/ Woods 5000 Chipper - Used Year 2001 is $1500 a reasonable price? #4  
That's like 10 big big dump trucks of mulch.

I really think it's overly optimistic that you will be able to get that done with the b machine and hand filling.

I'd try and rent a 20 inlet hydraulic fed, v8 powered chipper that can take real large hunks. The 5000 max is 5", but probably 4 is tge practical max. Clearing 5 acres with that .... a life project.

/ Woods 5000 Chipper - Used Year 2001 is $1500 a reasonable price? #5  
I have that chipper and while the price is okay, I couldn't agree more with the others. Rent a full size chipper or have a few truckloads of chips delivered. It would take you years to get 100+ yds of chips from that chipper. Not meant for that type of duty.

/ Woods 5000 Chipper - Used Year 2001 is $1500 a reasonable price? #6  
I have a heavy duty Vermeer 6" chipper with hydraulic feed, the chipper weighs about 1400lbs and is an absolute beast. I use it on a 39 pto hp tractor. I wouldn't dream of chipping that much mulch with it.

They are handy to have around, and get a lot of use when clearing land, but the amount of mulch you are talking about is way beyond the expected use of the machinery you have.

That being said, it's doable.

Edit: To actually answer the question you asked, if the chipper is in good shape it sounds like a pretty good price. Does it have hydro feed? If so, it's an excellent price. There is a Valby CH150 with hydro feed on CL right now for $2400, sounds like a good price but it looks pretty used up.

/ Woods 5000 Chipper - Used Year 2001 is $1500 a reasonable price?
Thanks to all of you who replied. I am convinced that I was a bit optimistic about chipping a 100+ yards. I have no chipping experience, as some of you can tell! I still need a chipper/shredder for cleanup and garden mulch/composting. However, thanks to all of you, I will buy material I need and just use the chipper for maintenance. As to the asking price, $1500, of the Woods 5000 I will need to go take a look at it. Depending on extra features it may have, I will probably offer $1000 or so. Thanks again for all the great advice.