Backhoe Woods BH90-X Backhoe

/ Woods BH90-X Backhoe #1  

Charles Billings

Silver Member
Tractor
NH TC45DA SuperSteer
I am looking to buy a backhoe for my NH TC45DA and find that the Woods BH90-X has the best specs. I have an installed price from one local dealer of $8700 with 18" bucket, subframe and mechanical thumb. Is that a reasonable price or should I continue to shop? Has anyone compared this backhoe to the new NH 930GH? Do you agree that for my tractor this Woods hoe is the best value? Thanks for any advice or comments.

/ Woods BH90-X Backhoe #2  
Charles,

I'm very new to all this, but have learned to rely on TBN searches and internet searches. You may want to check out Hayden's thread regarding his setup -- he was touting the Bradco backhoes. Here is the link http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-buying-pricing/111269-wow-now-thats-tractor.html.

Took me a bit, but I looked up your tractor and it appears to be highest end Boomer model available (man after my own heart!). You'd have to check out if your tractor is compatible with the BradCo stuff, but you might check out the BradCo 509/511 and 609/611. I'm attaching the spec sheets for both of those.

The quick specs on the Woods and BradCo are:

Digging depth: Woods - 9' 1", BC509/609 - 9' 8", BC511/611 - 11' 1"
Digging force: Woods - 5070 lbs, BC509/511 - 5676 lbs, BC609 - 5908 lbs, BC611 - 6167 lbs
Operating weight: Woods - ?, BC509 - 1425 lbs, BC511 - 1594 lbs, BC609 - 1702 lbs, BC611 - 1847 lbs

It appears that the BradCo stuff has a bit more capacity, but I think it is more pricey as well. I think Hayden mentioned that the BC511 setup was around $11,000, including mechanical thumb.

I may be trying to make the same decision as you are sometime soon, so let me know what you go with and how you like it. Best of luck with your decision!

Dave

Attachments

• Bradco511_509.pdf
    211.3 KB · Views: 250
  • Bradco611_609.pdf
    200.9 KB · Views: 146
  • WoodsBH90_x.JPG
    WoodsBH90_x.JPG
    141.1 KB · Views: 367
   / Woods BH90-X Backhoe
Foozle,

Thanks for the information. I had searched the Bradco hoes about a year ago, but forgot how good their reported specs were. It would need to be either the 509 or 511 for my tractor, looking at GPM of hydraulic flow. I remember people saying they were costly, and if the cost is $11K then I would need to opt for the Woods at more than 2K savings--"see Honey I saved $2300 by going with the Woods."

I am going to an open house at the local tractor dealer this weekend so may be able to get some more opinions. Hopefully, some more people will weigh in here, too.

Thanks again,

Charles

/ Woods BH90-X Backhoe #4  
I've got the 80X on my TC45 and really like it. One of the things I like about it is the way it connects. I've only actually taken it off and on once so far but it was about as easy as it gets. 2 big bolts & 1 hyd QD. The toughest part was lining the tractor up to it. I plan on fixing that with a dolly for the bh. I bought 2 buckets, an 18" and a 9", and I'm very glad I did. I use the 9" for trenching and digging stumps and the 18 for moving dirt. I had 2 options for the hydraulic, a pto pump or a power beyond connection. I went with the power beyond so I could use it for ....I dunno .... a log splitter maybe? or whatever.....the pump would of stayed with the bh.

/ Woods BH90-X Backhoe #5  
I have the BH90x with mechanical thumb and really like it. It is a well built BH and well designed. I've used it mostly for digging stumps so far. Other than a couple of difficult to reach zerks, I have zero complaints about the BH. Not certain I could buy the thumb if I were to do it again however. Nothing wrong with the thumb and if you don't have a grapple or grapple bucket it is certainly useful for moving stumps and rocks around but I find I don't use it as I have a grapple which is much more efficient for that purpose.

I think the price quoted is reasonable too.

Attachments

• IMG_5882smallfile.jpg
    IMG_5882smallfile.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 415
  • IMG_5883smallfile.jpg
    IMG_5883smallfile.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 480
   / Woods BH90-X Backhoe #6  
I would recommend the thumb, (I have the 80x with thumb) though I have the excellent millonzi grapple on Island Tractor's recommendation. The reason is, when I have the backhoe on, I usually have the bucket on full of logs or stones to counterbalance the backhoe, so I don't have the grapple.

I'm looking into getting a hydraulic setup for the thumb, which I think will improve the utility considerably, as well.

/ Woods BH90-X Backhoe #7  
Charlesaf3 said:
I would recommend the thumb, (I have the 80x with thumb) though I have the excellent millonzi grapple on Island Tractor's recommendation. The reason is, when I have the backhoe on, I usually have the bucket on full of logs or stones to counterbalance the backhoe, so I don't have the grapple.
quote]

:D :D What you really need then is a bigger heavier tractor so you can have your grapple mounted at the same time as your BH!!!

/ Woods BH90-X Backhoe #8  
Yes, the Bradco 511 ran about $11k, but that includes a hydraulic thumb (not mechanical), and an integrated foot-peddle control of the thumb. It also includes a adjustable swing speed control which I find very useful. There's no question that the Woods is less expensive and is still and excellent hoe, but it's not an apples-to-apples with the Bradco.

Good luck with your shopping, and I'm sure you'll be happy whichever way you go.

/ Woods BH90-X Backhoe #9  
Charles:

I have a BH 90-X that I bought last fall. It's on my Kubota L3130HST.

I really like the hoe, although I only used it for a few weeks before I removed it fo the winter (to mount my backblade).

I paid around $7,800 complete with subframe and 16" bucket. I bought it from Bob Wolf at Woodbury Tractor in CT. He is a really good guy to deal with. I bought my tractor form him (although I live in NJ).

I recommend that you give him a call.

Woodbury Tractor Company, LLC

/ Woods BH90-X Backhoe #10  
Hi

I was asking similar questions on another forum ...

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/nh-buying-pricing/118806-woods-bh90x-backhoe-tn75da.html

... another unit that was recommended to me (by AndyMA, endorsed by LarryRB) was the Woods 1050, although if the Bradco 611 exceeds your available capacity, perhaps this one could as well ... as I recall, some machines might require a subframe mount to handle the more powerful hoes like the 90-X or 1050 or 611, but the word on the forum was that a good 1050 might go for less in the used market than a 90-X ...

Happy Hunting

John