Rotary Cutter Woods Brush Cutter Blade Removal

/ Woods Brush Cutter Blade Removal #1  

Dennisfly

Gold Member
Lake Anna, Virginia and Alleghany County, VA
Tractor
John Deere 4410
I have an old Woods Dixie Cutter that I bought used. It works well, but it needs the blades sharpened. I thought I would take them off and sharpen them on a grinder. I removed the bolt on each blade that holds two retaining plates that hold each blade to the cross piece that attaches to the gear box. The retaining plates came off, but the large pin that holds each blade to the cross piece will not budge even after some persuasion with a pipe and hammer. I applied some WD-40, will let it set, and then go back with a propane torch to heat the crosspiece and a bigger hammer. Is this the correct technique, or am I missing something?

/ Woods Brush Cutter Blade Removal #2  
You may need to support that cross barr as you drive the pin out, You are on the right track.

Good Luck PeterT

/ Woods Brush Cutter Blade Removal #3  
I really like that set up, but the pin fits a little to close. I had to have one cut out last year. Put some never seize on the pin, before installing.

/ Woods Brush Cutter Blade Removal #4  
Dennis, if you've taken everything off (plate, shims, bolts,etc) then the only thing holding is rust and fine debris that may have lodged around the pin. I'd continue to do as you're trying, but definetely get something under the bar if your pounding on it. A bottle jack could work or some blocking. Anyway a press could be used to push it out?