Snowblower Woods SS74 snowblower bad performance

/ Woods SS74 snowblower bad performance #21  
I have an SB74 blower as well. I bought it used 4-5 years go (maybe more) and it's probably 8-10 years old.
I've have had few problems other than one shear bolt and the chute clogging.
I touch up the paint and spray the auger, auger housing, fan, fan housing and chute with non-stick spray. This can be Pam or a generic equivalent.
Depending on the moisture content of the snow, it'll fly 10' (if really wet) to 30-50 feet. If I forget to spray the components I'd written about, the snow sticks and really reduces the distance the snow flies
So, before selling or trading or rebuilding the fan, try the anti-stick spray. That's the cheapest way to go, initially.

Last edited:
   / Woods SS74 snowblower bad performance

I just ordered the 4-blade prop upgrade. The piece of metal you say I’m missing, what should the distance be from top blower housing to bottom of metal piece. I can easily weld a piece on there. Looks like they are blocking the portion of the blower where the chute is.

/ Woods SS74 snowblower bad performance #23  
I just ordered the 4-blade prop upgrade. The piece of metal you say I’m missing, what should the distance be from top blower housing to bottom of metal piece. I can easily weld a piece on there. Looks like they are blocking the portion of the blower where the chute is.
Been looking at pictures, you must have a really old model. It appears that at some time in the past the woods blowers did not have the cover being mentioned https://bid.sheridanauctionservice.com/lot-details/index/catalog/10254/lot/1378580

More than likely it was another design change made to improve performance.

Here is the later model with some good pictures that show it WOODS SS74 Year: 2018 Price: 1 642 EUR Used Snow Throwers For Sale - #5469
Looks like it covers 1/2 the width of the chute for the entire height and another portion that covers the top.

The newer model is a bit different https://woodsequipment.com/products/snow-blowers/sb74c/, it covers the top left quadrant and the full width of the chute.

/ Woods SS74 snowblower bad performance #24  
what should the distance be from top blower housing to bottom of metal piece. I can easily weld a piece on there. Looks like they are blocking the portion of the blower where the chute is
I dont think that's super important. If you look at the last link in the post prior it's even at a 45* angle. It's really just blocking the snow from falling out of the impeller.

You do know that impeller is pressed on right? It's not just a simple bolt on.

/ Woods SS74 snowblower bad performance
I did not know it was pressed on, that will make things interesting for sure. The manufacturer made it seem like it was a simple swap. The blade should be in early next week. I will post pictures of the new blade and my progress with modifications. Thanks everyone for the help!

/ Woods SS74 snowblower bad performance #26  
I dont think that's super important. If you look at the last link in the post prior it's even at a 45* angle. It's really just blocking the snow from falling out of the impeller.

You do know that impeller is pressed on right? It's not just a simple bolt on.
Yeah, on lower snow levels it would funnel the snow better into the chute. I think that in deeper snow it keeps snow from packing into the top of the fan and prevents spinning snow from impacting stationary snow which could slow it down and reduce blowing distance.

On the new models it is actually just a bolt holding it on at the center. If this one bolts on the same way make sure you put some kind of thread lock (loctite) on the bolt, it can come loose and spin out, you can guess how I know that. :(

/ Woods SS74 snowblower bad performance #27  
I did not know it was pressed on, that will make things interesting for sure. The manufacturer made it seem like it was a simple swap. The blade should be in early next week. I will post pictures of the new blade and my progress with modifications. Thanks everyone for the help!
If you look really close you can see where I drilled and tapped the impeller near the shaft bolt so I could use a steering wheel puller on it.