World Toilet Day

/ World Toilet Day #41  
View attachment 529159

Common in Japan and Asia are indoor squat toilets which need a little balance act to use, but common. Some are little more than a whole with the concrete pitched toward the hole.

That's pretty fancy: when I was with the USAF in Turkey the common version was the sloped hole in the concrete. The "upscale" version was a porcelain fixture of the same shape with impressed footprints on each side.

/ World Toilet Day #42  
Let's not forget that the dunny/outhouse was not exclusive to country living.

This photo is from the 1950's, a suburban development in Brisbane... but the Dunnyman still plied his 'trade' (collecting night-soil) in all the major cities well into the '70's.

Same RAN Commander told me that in Brisbane the cans were emptied into a purpose built ship and carted out to sea and dumped when it was full, he told me the name of the ship but I have forgotten it but it was Lady something, of course he told of the stories and jokes:
Worlds most powerful ship with 50,000 cylinders.
As another ship passed they crew would call out, ahoy, what is your cargo, under maritime law the crew are obliged to answer..
The young deckhand dropped his jacket into the hold and was fishing it out with a boathook, the captain told him that the jacket would now be useless, 'I know Sir but my lunch is in my pocket'.
And so they went on.....

/ World Toilet Day #43  
I have demolished outhouses that were converted with running water and sewers

/ World Toilet Day #44  
*A drunk gets up from the bar and heads for the bathroom. A few minutes later, a loud, blood-curdling scream is heard coming from the bathroom.
**A few minutes after that, another loud scream reverberates through the bar.
**The bartender goes into the bathroom to investigate what the drunk is screaming about.
**"What's all the screaming about in there? You're scaring my customers!"
**"I'm just sitting here on the toilet and every time I try to flush, something comes up and squeezes the **** out of my balls."
**With that, the bartender opens the door, looks in and says, "You idiot! You're sitting on the mop bucket!!!"

/ World Toilet Day #45  
Since outhouses were about the size of a telephone booth we'd say that we were going to make a long distance call!

A newspaper folded twice with a corner cut away made sitting much more comfortable*.( the torn out portion also serves as 'eco' TP.)

Today with all indoor plumbing etc we still maintain the 'loo' as power failures are common in this area and without power the septic pumps do not work.

* prevents 'butt frost bite'