World's Oldest Living Animal?

/ World's Oldest Living Animal? #1  

dave1949

Super Star Member
Tractor
Hanomag
It was a clam. Who knew?

"The oldest animal ever known lived from 1499 until the day researchers cracked its shell open, killing it in the process.

Ming, an ocean quahog from the species Arctica islandica, was initially thought to be a record-setting 402 years old. But the scientists who found it on a seabed near Iceland in 2006 now say further analysis has revealed that it was an incredible 507 years old, reports CBS."

Scientists accidentally kill world's oldest animal at age 507

/ World's Oldest Living Animal? #2  
I know its just a mullusk but its kinda sad that they felt the need to crack it open to verify the original age estimate. Gotta wonder if anyone on that research team is taking some heat for making the decision that killed the world's oldest living animal.

/ World's Oldest Living Animal?
Well, that's the oldest one they found and collected. It's likely there are others. Makes me wonder how long that type of clam could live as long as nothing eats it, some sickness kills it, or it gets oiled.

/ World's Oldest Living Animal? #4  
how about some chowder?:D

/ World's Oldest Living Animal? #5  
I thought that it would have been a Tortoise on the Galapagos Islands. Thanks for posting.

how about some chowder?:D

507 year old clam? Sounds like some rare delicacy from China. :laughing:

I wonder how stringy the meat is?

/ World's Oldest Living Animal? #7  
Interesting. I can't help but think of how ironic it is that a human killed it instead of it coming to a natural end. A perfect representation of a dominant species.

Interesting. I can't help but think of how ironic it is that a human killed it instead of it coming to a natural end. A perfect representation of a dominant species.

I expect no less when the aliens get here :eek:

/ World's Oldest Living Animal? #10  
I believe it was its natural end,..it was its time otherwise it would still be living