Would a check valve work and if so, where should I put it?

/ Would a check valve work and if so, where should I put it? #1  

SylvainG

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti LK30
When my dealer installed this remote control for the snow blower chute, I noticed that when I raise the 3PH blower, the handle moves up and it turns the chute. It really didn't bother me then because I only had to put my hand on the lever to stop it from moving while I raised the blower. However, for the box blade hydraulic top link, this could throw off my angle of attack if I forget to put my hand on that lever. He mentioned last winter that a check valve should fix this. Would it and if so, where would it go? On the input (right) or output (left)? Probably not on A or B (top two ports) since they have to go both ways... The Input is a repurposed backhoe input when the backhoe is off and Output is a return to tank.

1716hVO.png

Thanks

/ Would a check valve work and if so, where should I put it? #2  
That valve is causing you too many problems. Replace it with a proper valve and plumb everything like i told you in your other thread. I'd even use a 3 function valve as they aren't that much more expensive. That valve handle shouldn't move due to mechanical articulation of the 3pt impliment. Also, get a new dealer. He isn't doing you any favors.

/ Would a check valve work and if so, where should I put it? #3  
I agree with Mike in that something is plumbed wrong since operating the 3PH should not cause the valve to shift.

/ Would a check valve work and if so, where should I put it? #4  
Basically the valve appears to be a open circuit valve same as used on log splitter..... it should only effect the operation of AB ports if moved from "neutral position"... Valve moving on its own is either plumbed wrong or may be defective... Anyway that is how my interpretation on how valve works...

/ Would a check valve work and if so, where should I put it? #5  
Most log splitter valves have a detent, which on a log splitter lets you retract the ram without holding the lever the whole time. On my splitter it's when I push the lever towards the valve body though some are reverse. If this valve has that then it's probably a log splitter valve. The valve detent is made to pop out when the ram fully retracts and pressure rises.

It looks like this valve is plumbed with four lines: A and B to the cylinder, which leaves one for input from the valve ahead of it (i.e. the PB port from the loader valve) and one output/tank which would in this case lead to the 3pt. No power beyond of its own. Many valves like that are not made to handle the pressure that could be generated by the 3pt lifting something heavy. If the valve has become damaged internally it might leak to the work ports under pressure.

You should look up the valve make and model, find the manufacturer's documentation for it, and see what pressure the tank port is rated for. If it's 500 or 750 psi that's not enough and the guy who set up the snow blower sold you an inappropriate valve.

/ Would a check valve work and if so, where should I put it? #6  
That valve is causing you too many problems. Replace it with a proper valve and plumb everything like i told you in your other thread. I'd even use a 3 function valve as they aren't that much more expensive. That valve handle shouldn't move due to mechanical articulation of the 3pt impliment. Also, get a new dealer. He isn't doing you any favors.
I don't know that I'd scrap the dealer just because he doesn't know about hydraulics - there are lots of other reasons he could be good. But I would follow Mike's advice otherwise. And I wouldn't let that dealer do the hydraulic work....or any hydraulic work.

/ Would a check valve work and if so, where should I put it?

Do you mean this post?

If so, when the backhoe is off, the valve would still be connected that way and I would still have the issue, unless you're thinking of another post that I missed.

Thanks
Basically the valve appears to be a open circuit valve same as used on log splitter..... it should only effect the operation of AB ports if moved from "neutral position"... Valve moving on its own is either plumbed wrong or may be defective... Anyway that is how my interpretation on how valve works...

It is a log splitter valve and yes, it's an open circuit. When not actuated, it returns to tank.

This the hydraulic diagram of the valve. When I was using the box grader, A and B weren't connected, just P and T. Looking at how it was connected to the tractor, the valve Tank port is connected to the Carry-Over port of the tractor's auxiliary relief valve (where the loader and then backhoe is connected to).

1619310276925.png

This is the auxiliary relief valve diagram. Carry-Over is labeled C here and E is going to the 3PH. So, it looks like the Carry-Over port is seeing pressure when I move the 3PH and depending on how the relief valve of the log splitter valve is connected internally, may be it 'draws' the lever in when there is pressure there.
1619311437847.png

So to answer my question, I think a check valve on the Tank port of the log splitter valve would prevent it from seeing pressure. Another option would be to bring the log splitter valve Tank port to the back of the tractor where the backhoe Tank port connects to so it never sees pressure to start with.

So I've decided to replace the log splitter valve by a real DCV with PB.

Might get this one which would give me an extra remote.

Both valves are 9 gpm flow rate while my tractor is spec'ed at 7.9 gpm.

The 'Carry-Over' port I mentioned before is called in my user manual "R PORT (Carry-Over Port Of The Exterior Implement)" so I'm assuming it's a return to tank port? This seems to contradict that diagram in the service manual I posted earlier. If it is a return port, can I plug my valve Tank port to it or will it this do the same problem my log splitter valve is experiencing? My idea is to connect the loader PB port to the valve P port, the valve PB port to the backhoe P port and the valve T port to that 'R Port'.

Thanks.

/ Would a check valve work and if so, where should I put it? #9  
Sylvain
Do you have a FEL valve on your tractor?

if yes then plumbing should be from power beyond of FEL valve to inlet of new valve. Power beyond of new valve to 3PH

tank of new valve teed into tank line of FEL valve.

suspect reason handle moves on current valve is that with work ports blocked leakage builds pressure in A which is intended to push handle out of detent.

Got me thinking, wondering if the valve moving up is caused by my vent being blocked. Would that cause fluid returning to the tank to cause a temporary pressure build-up in that tank? I unblocked the vent last Monday but with the backhoe installed, I can't move the 3PH because they interfere so I can't really test it until I unhook the backhoe.

Last edited: