Would like honest suggestions about tow vehicle issues

/ Would like honest suggestions about tow vehicle issues #271  
The PMR are good as long as you don't do to many mods and get above 500 hp range. The ones mentioned are the most sought after to make horsepower
John

/ Would like honest suggestions about tow vehicle issues
What's the PMR?

As for HP anything at around 300 ought to be all that I would want. Three hundred HP and neighborhood of 600ft lb of torque will do everything I foresee in my future. No desire to race or sled pull or pull 15K loads even. I foresee no more than 10K in my pulling future. This is my RV truck and regular driver. Occasional calls to haul a trailer load of whatever I need on the property. I couldn't even come close to being able to AFFORD to make 500HP.

/ Would like honest suggestions about tow vehicle issues #273  
Powdered metal rod ( connecting rod) I have not heard them being an issue at all unless you plan on making big horsepower. The 7.3 is a true workhorse and reliable engine.
John

/ Would like honest suggestions about tow vehicle issues
OK good, that expands the available years considerably. If 500hp is the blowup point I have nothing to fear there. If I got into building it for more power, something in the mid 3's would feel like I had a firebreather.

/ Would like honest suggestions about tow vehicle issues #275  
OK that sounds a lot better. I have read the earlier Dmax had injector issues, bummer though. The older 7.3's are looking better and better for a lot of reasons, money up front and later on. Sounds like the tranny and converter are the big concerns, NORMALLY. I also know anything's possible on a used truck.

Look for rust on a 7.3 truck, the newest one you can find is going to be 11 years old. Find one with a manual trans and then you don't have to worry about trans problems.

/ Would like honest suggestions about tow vehicle issues #276  
I have many friends with Ford 7.3 diesels, personally I'm a Cummins guy but I love all diesel's. One of them blew his engine into million pieces at less than 450 hp. All he had besides the normal intake and exhaust mods is a superchip tuner ,and a small propane shot,if it had 400 hp it was a lot.I also have a friend who blew his engine and 475 hp he was on 600 mile trip when the engine let go halfway. That truck had more mods but was running diesel only.One truck was a late 2000 the other one a 2001. Personally I would keep under 425 horse the rods on those trucks are not that strong. When it let's go it's catastrophic there's nothing left of the bottom end. The 2001 truck ended up having a $12,000 repair bill due to a brand-new engine from Navistar be needed and not getting a core charge back... The other truck was swamped to a Cummins.. As for the injectors like anything else the trucks maintenance history has more to do with the life, also look for signs of the truck being heavily modified by the previous owner and then returned it down to stock for sale... We see a lot of these trucks here and the engines usually go not long after the new owner buys it, usually it needs a complete engine at that point it's pretty much gone, because the same people that do this sort of thing do not monitor exhaust gas temperatures or do not stop when there too high,and usually crack heads ,valves and just dramatically shorten engine life...

/ Would like honest suggestions about tow vehicle issues #277  
OK that sounds a lot better. I have read the earlier Dmax had injector issues, bummer though. The older 7.3's are looking better and better for a lot of reasons, money up front and later on. Sounds like the tranny and converter are the big concerns, NORMALLY. I also know anything's possible on a used truck.

The trans is not the problem, it is the converter. When you start throwing 100+ hp extra then it tears up the lockup clutch in the converter. You leave them stock and I have seen them in the 200k range alot. You chip them and don't expect much more than 100k if you are really really nice. Mine went 68,000 before acting up. But in all fairness I still drove it 1200 miles to BTS to be fixed. Mine was worked but not abused except for the chip. As far as the PMR rods they will take upwards of 400HP but you need a good program to keep cylinder pressures down to make them live above that. My truck is only at 380ish at the wheels and it is more than enough! CJ

/ Would like honest suggestions about tow vehicle issues #278  
I have an 07 GMC sierra classic LB/CC with 185K on the clock and run a chip on mileage setting. Never needed any work except batteries.

/ Would like honest suggestions about tow vehicle issues #279  
The trans is not the problem, it is the converter. When you start throwing 100+ hp extra then it tears up the lockup clutch in the converter. You leave them stock and I have seen them in the 200k range alot. You chip them and don't expect much more than 100k if you are really really nice. Mine went 68,000 before acting up. But in all fairness I still drove it 1200 miles to BTS to be fixed. Mine was worked but not abused except for the chip. As far as the PMR rods they will take upwards of 400HP but you need a good program to keep cylinder pressures down to make them live above that. My truck is only at 380ish at the wheels and it is more than enough! CJ

CJONE
What kind of upgrades are you running and how do you like the BTS trans.? I have heard really good things about Brian and how he stands behind his work.
John

/ Would like honest suggestions about tow vehicle issues #280  
My buddy has an 06 Chevy 2500HD SB/CC Duramax/Allison
My buddy has about 100,000 on his and it seems he's had what I consider a lot of issues to be fixed but they were all fixed fast and he has been very happy with his truck. I bought mine after being in his.
He hauls a Big Boy Jeep and his 4 wheelers.

I have an 07 GMC 2500HD LB/CC Duramax/Allison (LBZ)
I have about 185,000 miles and have never had it in the shop except for oil and filters.
I haul my Gooseneck 30+8 (14,000#) flat bed trailer. Never fully loaded.
I haul my gooseneck 14' (14,000#) hydraulic dump trailer. That gets more weight.

My truck will likely be my last. I would hate to replace it. It has been absolutely rock solid. By far, the best part is that Trailer button. Makes cruise control a dream when towing.

PS: 72mph = 17mpg
55mph = 21mpg