Would you buy a 54" or 60" deck?

/ Would you buy a 54" or 60" deck? #11  
I agree with the 60” deck assuming you have no storage space/trailer issues and the land doesn’t have berms which would cause scalping.

That said, for 2 acres I’m not sure it really makes a big amount of difference.

MoKelly

/ Would you buy a 54" or 60" deck? #12  
I use a mower with a 144" deck. I do use a smaller zt for trimming. It's 60". I wouldn't want anything smaller that 60".

/ Would you buy a 54" or 60" deck? #14  
I never checked the speedometer, fast enough to get 4 acres done in less than 2 hours.

TBW144.jpg

/ Would you buy a 54" or 60" deck? #15  
I never checked the speedometer, fast enough to get 4 acres done in less than 2 hours.

View attachment 690381

Thanks. Nice picture.

I am averaging about 2.5 acres/hour on my 60 in. ZTR. Takes me roughly 5 hours to mow 13+- acres.

MoKelly

/ Would you buy a 54" or 60" deck? #16  
Man - a 12 ft. path. Sweet.

I’m guessing it is not a ZT?

How fast can you go?

MoKelly
I've saw some huge mowers, especially on government properties that are multiple gang machines. Z turn sortta. Always thought it would be cool to have one but my yard ain't big enough to turn it around. :)

I mow 2 miles of road banks. I do it with a 15' batwing. No ZT..... :)

/ Would you buy a 54" or 60" deck? #17  
We use 10 foot reel mowers on the golf courses down in Florida for the fairways. There are 2 courses and approx. 5.5 miles of fairways to mow.

MoKelly

/ Would you buy a 54" or 60" deck? #18  
We use 10 foot reel mowers on the golf courses down in Florida for the fairways. There are 2 courses and approx. 5.5 miles of fairways to mow.

MoKelly
Oh wow!!!! The fact that you measure it in miles rather than acres is significant.....

/ Would you buy a 54" or 60" deck?
Thanks for the input gentlemen. I will check if they have a 144" deck but it might be special order...LOL. OMG...found it. I can get two 72" deck units. IIRC they were over $13k each.

Looks like I will see if the dealer will let me try out the 60" deck and allow me to trade it for the 54" deck if I have issues with it.

Looks like I will lose the "mine is bigger than yours" contest.

/ Would you buy a 54" or 60" deck? #20  
I use a smaller deck ZT ... it might be 48inch but commercial duty build. That said, I have several acres of rural lawn/pasture to mow but can zip pretty fast with no scalping and maneuvering around many obstacles flower beds and trees. The critical dimension for me is the total width at the widest point not just the deck size or tire width.