Would you give up a tractor for a skid steer (CTL)?

/ Would you give up a tractor for a skid steer (CTL)? #21  
Not to digress from the OP questions, but I like that Toolcat. I can see where having one of those on the farm would be a great addition.
Back to the original question of skid steer versus tractors once again.

/ Would you give up a tractor for a skid steer (CTL)? #22  
NO. I love my tractor and it does the jobs I need done.

/ Would you give up a tractor for a skid steer (CTL)? #23  
A skid steer or CTL I probably wouldn't ... a compact wheel loader or small telehandler I might. However, all of those machines tend to weigh a more and (and have larger engines) than a compact tractor.

So not entirely sure I'd pass on the compact tractor for any of them, but would be far more tempted by a telehandler, a wheel loader or tool cat than I would a skid steer or CTL at this point.

/ Would you give up a tractor for a skid steer (CTL)? #24  
I rented a skidsteer to auger some deep footings in very hard ground. Almost tipped it going up a small rise that my tractor doesn't even notice.

Previously I'd rented a CTL for a similar purpose (idk why they rented me a CTL that time and a SS this time - same yard, similar purpose) and it was way more stable.

Some day I'll have a big piece of land, and I'll probably have a full-size TLB, a CTL, an excavator, a CUT, and maybe an SCUT :) maybe a dozer too? haha.

/ Would you give up a tractor for a skid steer (CTL)? #25  
Some day I'll have a big piece of land, and I'll probably have a full-size TLB, a CTL, an excavator, a CUT, and maybe an SCUT :) maybe a dozer too? haha.
Now that is the correct manly American way of thinking 🇺🇸. It is almost impossible to have too many pieces of equipment to choose from. Don't let things like money or need get in the way of good bargain on a used piece of heavy equipment.

/ Would you give up a tractor for a skid steer (CTL)? #26  
Now that is the correct manly American way of thinking 🇺🇸. It is almost impossible to have too many pieces of equipment to choose from. Don't let things like money or need get in the way of good bargain on a used piece of heavy equipment.
Somebody finally brought some good sense to the conversation! :)

FWIW - I traded a SS (Bobcat 743) for my tractor. It was a nice running machine, but heavy dirt work was really the only thing it was good for. And it was a smaller wheeled unit, so it wasn't actually great at that either. It didn't have high flow hydraulics, so mowing was out and had other issues (was very tippy on slopes, can't get out while boom is raised). Other than the advantages in grading, I've found my Kubota to be as capable or better.

/ Would you give up a tractor for a skid steer (CTL)? #27  
Jarrett, if the regarding job is the only issue I agree with renting the equipment you think you need or hiring the job. However, why can you not do the regarding with your tractor and current equipment? Or is the job so large you just want larger equipment?

I realize the size of your tractor but I have done some very good grading with larger four wheel drive tractor and pull box blade with tilt on it. You may very well find a local farmer who has such a setup that would the work for you at reasonable price.

As to the cab tractor, at think 62 I bought my 4th tractor with a cab, at 66 bought my 5th with a cab. Don't regret either. Matter of fact very glad I did. NOW there are reasons NOT to buy a cab tractor, but for me the biggest and really only reason I have in my life is tree limbs. If you are working often around strong tree limbs I rather had an open station tractor. The other negative I know of with cab is you can not hear the sound of the tractor or implement as well to know if a bearing is squealing or such. The pluses of the cab are: weather, the weather hot or cold, insects, flying debris such as mowing, not hearing the loud sound of the tractor and implements. If you are considering a cab look at the design very carefully. I bought a Kubota Grand L6060 over the JD 4000 as I was buying cab and did not like the fact the JD cab did not have any side windows and only openings to the cab for air flow were the doors or the back glass. I am not one who wants to run across any where with the doors open. Be sure the right door can be open from the outside as that is the side your lift controls are and no fun to walk to the left side to climb in the cab to unlock or operate the lift to climb back out to connect (ok suggesting quickhitch it seems). If you are large person be sure with seat back and in position you do not bump the back glass (issue on some small tractors).

/ Would you give up a tractor for a skid steer (CTL)? #28  
I intend to get enough land that I positively require all of this equipment.
Hopefully I'll be able to afford it.

/ Would you give up a tractor for a skid steer (CTL)? #29  
i have been a landscaper for over 20 years, before we bought machines we used to only rent fel and they did jobs fine. Finally we rented a skid steer and never went back, they are just so much more versatile and fast. I currently own a small wheeled skid steer that i have steel over tire tracks when i need(not too often) and a smallish excavator. The skidsteer could do everything if i wanted but the excavator makes everything much faster. Skidsteers can do basically anything since you can buy or rent an attachment to do things you haven't even dreamed of. I have tipped a fel and a skidsteer and could have been killed on the fel but just got a little smacked up on the skidsteer since you are sitting in a full cage. Wheels can tear up finished turf more than tracks depending on treadwear and how you drive, but they can also last a lot longer than tracks with much less maintenance. With my steel tracks on i can go anywhere, even very deep mud that a tracked will spin in. BTW, I am always a proponent of used over new as long as you do a good inspection and know what you are getting into. Don't shy away from smaller machines as well, they are much more transportable, get into tight spots and cost a lot less, plus they weigh so much less that they can be used on finish turf pretty easily and they are still overpowered since attachments are hydraulic instead of shaft drive.

Also, I did a bunch of clearing and grading on my 5 acres when we first moved in and i bought a bulldozer, It worked extremely well but in hindsight i would have rented and done it in one shot and then whittled away at the smaller jobs with my other owned equipment(although i did sell for more than purchase price plus all repairs, so it was basically free). Dozers are awesome but you are literally breaking them every time you use them, too much upkeep.

Last edited:
   / Would you give up a tractor for a skid steer (CTL)? #30  
I've run tractors, skid steers and excavators. ANYTHING that's TRACKED sucks to get around on if one is used to a tractor: the ride is horrible and it's SLOW going. I profess that I love running an excavator as there's nothing like being able to see (at a bit of distance) WORK being done.

Buy for 80-90% and rent the rest. Most of the smaller percentage tasks tend to be one-offs. One can always get a piece of equipment to do some of what one is needing to do; it's what works the most efficiently for the majority of one's work requirements that matters (which is why buying or renting the right tool for THE job is really the best).

If my pockets were overflowing with money I'd go with a telehandler (Merlo makes Ag ones [one or more] with 3pt that one can actually use for mowing [no offense to those pushing mowers, but I'd rather pull them]).