Wright Fence Mower for Horse Wire Mesh

/ Wright Fence Mower for Horse Wire Mesh #1  

Rusty

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B7500HSD-R
I am looking for experienced opinions on using a Wright Fence Mower LLC Model FM30 (www.fencemower.com) for trimming next to a horse wire mesh fence around a 5-acre horse pasture. The mesh goes all the way to the ground, so no mowing under it, and need to mow on both sides of fence. The fence mesh is stapled to cedar posts of various diameters 4" and above.

The fence is 30-years old and overground with grass, weeds, bushes and small trees, so some initial hand trimming is probably going to be required. My tractor is a Kubota B7500 HSD-R.

Also, has anyone seen one of these units available for rent thru a dealer or rental company?

/ Wright Fence Mower for Horse Wire Mesh #2  
We have 9 acres with horses. Over a mile of weed wacking the way the pasture is chopped up. Weed wacker gets fired up a few times a year. Lawn mower sometimes to mow close to wire fence.

That product looks interesting but mowing/weed wacking once in a while and a bit of chemical mowing works ok for us.

/ Wright Fence Mower for Horse Wire Mesh #3  
The video says they recommend the wire fence be attached to the posts at least 7" above the ground. If that were the case, it might work ok.

I have no-climb fence that we installed right down against the ground too. There's no way I would try to push up against it with something like this. As soon as you snag the wire things will start unzipping and popping loose. We pulled ours really tight and I'm very careful not to snag it with the mower.

I don't know of any way to keep it clean except for Roundup/glyphosate/chemicals.

/ Wright Fence Mower for Horse Wire Mesh #4  
I mow tight against the fence with an offset flail mower. Works pretty good. The PVC pipe is a visual indicator of where the edge of the mower is.

Attachments

• IMG_3165.JPG
    IMG_3165.JPG
    298 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_3166.JPG
    IMG_3166.JPG
    204.3 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
   / Wright Fence Mower for Horse Wire Mesh #5  
I've only looked at the wright mowers online. I don't think they'd be any better than just a regular 3pt mower on your mesh fence. The whole idea of the wright is to be able to get under the fence (either barbwire or pipe, etc). With only being able to get close to the wire, might as well just use a regular mower. Maybe one of the weed whacker style 3 pt trimmers may work better on your mesh fence? Like CH said, I'd be worried about getting close enough that I'd manage to grab a fence section with the mower and pull some of it away from the poles.