Wrong oil! (stupid on me)

/ Wrong oil! (stupid on me)
What oil did you buy that cost $258 for 19 quarts and 2 filters?
4570Man--

I am going to answer your question. I just need some time on the computer to do so. I might learn something if you--or others--see what I bought and how much it cost.

--Bill

/ Wrong oil! (stupid on me) #12  
That's awfully harsh don't you think?

Maybe 3 weeks on the donuts & 3 days on the coffee.

/ Wrong oil! (stupid on me) #13  
I did the same thing but with my 2500HD truck and my LS4145 tractor. After rechecking the manuals and finding I was still well within specs I let it ride. If it fits the manufacturer specs then don't sweat it.

/ Wrong oil! (stupid on me) #15  
I wouldn't worry too much as long as they are both diesel rated oils.
Personally I run 5W-40 Diesel rated in most all my engines.

/ Wrong oil! (stupid on me) #16  
I'm curious, what made you think to use different oils in the first place? Both diesel, right? Do either of the machines have a DPF or EGR system? Older engines with EGR systems can use API CE through CI-4 rated oils, while newer engines, including those with a DPF, should use CJ-4. My skid steer, excavator, dozer, and truck all use the same 15w-40 CJ-4 engine oil.

/ Wrong oil! (stupid on me) #17  
All--

I changed the oil in my Mahindra 5545 (9 quarts) and my Komatsu SK1020-5 Turbo (10 quarts) skid steer today. I decided to use 15W-40 in the tractor and 10W-30 in the skid steer, using the temperature range shown in their respective manuals.

Except, I screwed up. I flipped them: The 10W-30 went into the tractor and the 15W-40 went into the skid steer.

Should I do it all over with new filters and oil?

I only feel stupid when I think about it.

--Bill
Nope. It'll all work out!

I'm curious, what made you think to use different oils in the first place? Both diesel, right? Do either of the machines have a DPF or EGR system? Older engines with EGR systems can use API CE through CI-4 rated oils, while newer engines, including those with a DPF, should use CJ-4. My skid steer, excavator, dozer, and truck all use the same 15w-40 CJ-4 engine oil.
Bob--

The Komatsu skid steer is a 2005 machine. No environmental stuff. The 2016 Mahindra 5545 has none, either.
What made me think to use different oils? I screwed up. I bought what I wanted for each machine and then--like a dummy--proceeded to switch them.

--Bill

What oil did you buy that cost $258 for 19 quarts and 2 filters?
4570Man--

I bought more than I wrote: All from O'Reilly Auto Parts . . .

Wix 4671 Air Filter . . . . . . . $61.99
Wix 51334 Oil Filter . . . . . . . 11.99
12qts Motorcraft 15W-40 . . . 98.97
12qts Mobil 10W-30 . . . . . . .65.97

Sales Tax . . . . . . . . . . . . . $19.65

Total . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $258.57

All the oil is diesel rated. Plus, I had to go back and buy the internal air filter for the Komatsu. I forgot what it cost.

--Bill

/ Wrong oil! (stupid on me) #20  
A local parts store charged me that much for an air filter. The Kubota branded air filter from the dealer was 1/2 that price.