X-cord for welder

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / X-cord for welder #71  
You may very well be entirely right, yet I don't care. At all.
This doesnt surprise me,,, kind of the point with this thread. It was obvious before I even add my 5 cents. Its not unique to you.
Here's what I do know: wiring a circuit per code will a) keep things safe, and b) This is true but how would one know what code is? Is it from,,,, I did it this way and mine works so it must be so,,, is it,,, I was always told, is it reading the book and the manual?
When it is explained and compliandt there is always someone got to come along with the version that that aint right, those people dont know what they are doing what if I do this or what if someone does that,,, and total speculation about what an inspector might say despite very little experience with inspected work and code compliant work,,, but,,, there is somneone just sure to offer the op[inion your house will burn down and insurance wont cover it,,,, neither remotely true.

/ X-cord for welder #72  
Despite the chances being less than hit by lightening its repeated constantly and with a cheering section.

/ X-cord for welder #73  
That's right,and the rathe of lawyers could be on the owner/electrician because the sign prove's they knew the plug posed a risk.
I wonder why the code doesnt require a sign or why they think this is not a problem? Its been this way 75 years and not even a concern till the internet came along. When they invented these welders it was leagal,,, masters installed these by the millions with 10 cable to 50A range side of fuse panels.
They were installed by guys knew the difference between a plug and a recept. In todays world still done and under inspection usually by guys know the difference between 110 and 240.

/ X-cord for welder #74  
220,,, 221,,, what ever it takes.
I'd wire it to handle anything I wanted to plug into it. Who wants to install a 240v circuit and not be able to use it?
This is about this statement and not about the guy that wrote it. These circuits are not designed and not intended to plug anything in them. We see this when the subject of adapters come up. I dont believe there is a legal adapter from 6-50 to anything else. There is one from 14-50 to 6-50 but none from 6-50 to lower currents.
I believe the only legal one is 14-50 to 30 travel trailer.
As I elude to the focus is so intense on what if,,, that other aspects are ignored. The as important and maybe more so because its kind of an ambush is that the equipment being plugged in to it is not designed to be plugged in to circuits with a higher breaker.
Guy makes a 50 to 20 and it now lets equipment that was designed to be current limited plugged on to a 50 breaker. The tool still draws the same current but is not fault protected. Its simply why they dont allow common 120 on 30A even if you use 10 wire in the circuit. Its why they allow 16 cords on a 20A, load limited by the appliance and not the breaker. In the case of xmas lights the modern ones add a fuse, the old ones did use more current but the wire had to be sized for faults.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.