X300 Starter

/ X300 Starter #1  

bmg88201

Gold Member
Tractor
JD X300
I am having issues with my X300 starting. When I try to start it, It just clicks a few times and then barely turns over, thankfully my mower runs well and will start if it turns over even a little. I replaced the battery with no improvement, checked all my connections. I believe it is my starter. JD wants $259.00 (no way Jose). Amazon sells a Caltric brand starter for $42.00. Has anybody use one of these starters? It could also be my solenoid. JD wants $80.00 (again no way Jose). Any recommendations or suggestions. Lastly, it could be my ignition switch but I doubt it.

Thanks for any help.

/ X300 Starter #2  
I had the same problem with my X495, It was a bad positive side battery cable.

/ X300 Starter #3  
An X300 can have the solenoid on the chassis or piggy backed to the starter. Is the latter the one you have? You mentioned and then barely turns over. So if the starter itself has low power once it is engaged- I'd replace the assembly. You know, it used to be you could go to XYZ auto parts, hang an aftermarket part on your car or truck and you couldn't tell the difference. I've been soured one too many times on things like this. If you don't like the Deere pricing , Google the number off the starter. Denso parts can usually be got more affordably.

/ X300 Starter
My solenoid is not part of the starter, it is mounted by itself next to the starter. I will try to Google Denso parts, I tell ya I am at a loss. My seat switch is working otherwise it would not even turn over at all, same for the break switch, my ignition switch works, I have cleaned and checked all my connections. So, I am down to the starter or the solenoid. I just hate to pay that outrageous price for a starter or solenoid. I will post what progress I make, maybe that will help others.

Thanks for the reply.

/ X300 Starter #5  
With the solenoid mounted off the rear of the engine, you have 2 small terminals. One is a trigger 12 VDC when the switch is activated and the other is grounded. If one were to jump across the 2 larger terminals plus if you are confident of your terminals in the system being clean and tight- it should crank the starter over well. Note that when you do this, it will spark - so caution is advised. If it doesn't and your engine turns freely- it seem the starter motor is the likely choice. If it does crank well, the solenoid is suspect. MIU10981 is under 30$ if that is the one you have.

/ X300 Starter
Thanks for the reply. My solenoid has two small terminals and two large terminals. I think you mean for me to jump across the two large ones. One of them comes from the battery to the solenoid and the other large terminal goes from the solenoid to the starter. Do I need to have the ignition turned to run? I don't mind the spark as long as I found out what is wrong with this puppy. I'll try it when I get home from work.

Thanks for your help

/ X300 Starter
I did jump across the solenoid and it turned over just fine so I guess that was the issue. I will go on-line and order a new solenoid, I saw JD OEM solenoids from $20 -
$30 on-line. It amazes me that my local JD dealer wants $80 for the solenoid. If I still have problems I will pick you guy's brains some more.

I thank you for your advice

/ X300 Starter #8  
Your welcome. It is very likely they quoted you the solenoid price for the starter mounted one. You could price the MIU10981 with them. The 80$ dealer price seems about right for the piggy back version. ( Denso 053400-8510 )

/ X300 Starter
Well, you were right, I bought a new solenoid. My JD dealer said he quoted me the wrong price over the phone. The solenoid cost me $22.00. I put it on and the puppy cranked good. It does puzzle me though how just a simple solenoid switch can go bad. Oh well,

Thanks

/ X300 Starter #10  
I am having issues with my X300 starting. When I try to start it, It just clicks a few times and then barely turns over, thankfully my mower runs well and will start if it turns over even a little. I replaced the battery with no improvement, checked all my connections. I believe it is my starter. JD wants $259.00 (no way Jose). Amazon sells a Caltric brand starter for $42.00. Has anybody use one of these starters? It could also be my solenoid. JD wants $80.00 (again no way Jose). Any recommendations or suggestions. Lastly, it could be my ignition switch but I doubt it.

Thanks for any help.

I installed one of the Caltric starters a week ago. It works great. I haven稚 heard my mower turn over that well in years. For the money it痴 a great deal.