X300 Steering issues

/ X300 Steering issues #1  

bmg88201

Gold Member
Tractor
JD X300
I have a 2010 X300 with about 550 hours on it and had real bad problems with the steering, it would not hardly turn very far to the left and took a lot of force to straighten the front wheels back up. Turned out the large half-moon sector gear was knarled up and the steering wheel shaft bushings were worn badly. I had to jack up the mower real high to get the steering shaft out cause it has to be removed from the bottom. Bought a new sector gear and 2 new bushings for the steering shaft and 2 new bushing for the sector gear. I heard this was a design flaw in the X300. I believe the worn bushings caused the sector gear to get knarled up. The gear on the steering shaft ( which is one piece ) is in good shape so I did not have to replace the steering shaft. Should I complain with 550 hours on the mower, or should this have lasted longer ?

/ X300 Steering issues #2  
it don't have a steering box, so expect an early failure, it's normal..

/ X300 Steering issues #3  
I have a 2010 X300 with about 550 hours on it and had real bad problems with the steering, it would not hardly turn very far to the left and took a lot of force to straighten the front wheels back up. Turned out the large half-moon sector gear was knarled up and the steering wheel shaft bushings were worn badly. I had to jack up the mower real high to get the steering shaft out cause it has to be removed from the bottom. Bought a new sector gear and 2 new bushings for the steering shaft and 2 new bushing for the sector gear. I heard this was a design flaw in the X300. I believe the worn bushings caused the sector gear to get knarled up. The gear on the steering shaft ( which is one piece ) is in good shape so I did not have to replace the steering shaft. Should I complain with 550 hours on the mower, or should this have lasted longer ?

That's how I got mine. Neighbor gave it to me free after the steering gear got so worn they could turn it at all. $50 part and a couple of hours of work and I was up and running. That was at about 800 some hours and they mowed a lot of hills and curves.

As I recall, the original was three separate parts bolted together and the replacement is a single welded unit.

/ X300 Steering issues #4  
Sounds like you did well fixing this up.. for 55 hours a year at a cost of about $300, or about $5.50 an hour.. not too bad.

Now with your investment in parts, maybe you can get another 10 years out of the X300. :drink:

/ X300 Steering issues
The parts cost $115.00 for the 4 bushings and the sector gear. The steering shaft and gear are one piece but was not worn and I could tell that part is made of much harder steel. Just got the parts and installed and everything put back together about 45 minutes. The wear came from the lower steering shaft bushing which was wallered out bad, that is what caused the damage to the sector gear. The other bushings only had minor wear but replaced them anyway. It took longer to take apart than it was putting back together.

/ X300 Steering issues #6  
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

/ X300 Steering issues #7  
The parts cost $115.00 for the 4 bushings and the sector gear. The steering shaft and gear are one piece but was not worn and I could tell that part is made of much harder steel. Just got the parts and installed and everything put back together about 45 minutes. The wear came from the lower steering shaft bushing which was wallered out bad, that is what caused the damage to the sector gear. The other bushings only had minor wear but replaced them anyway. It took longer to take apart than it was putting back together.

Glad to hear that your back up and running. I take it that the bushings are metal, if so, now you know what to oil once ore twice a year.

Richard

/ X300 Steering issues #8  
Glad to hear that your back up and running. I take it that the bushings are metal, if so, now you know what to oil once ore twice a year.

Richard
synthetic oil only, petroleum oil collects dust and dirt like a magnet, increasing wear!..

/ X300 Steering issues
I was able to dress up the old sector gear with a file with good results and will keep as a spare, and the 2 old sector gear bushings had only 0.002 wear, so I'll keep them as spares also. As far as oiling the bushing; the only way to oil the lower steering shaft bushing is removing the deck. I am debating weather to oil the bushings at all, synthetic is still going to collect grit. If I can go another 10 years without replacing those parts, that's good enough for me. Thanks for everybody's input.