X500 Transmission Fluid Change - Question

/ X500 Transmission Fluid Change - Question #1  

farmbuilt

Tractor
JD X590
Hi all,

I recently changed my transmission fluid in my new x590. I followed the instructions when filling, and filled only to the "Check cold mark" and ran it around for 15 mins or so, came back and checked the fluid level again right after I Was finished. When I checked the level again, the fluid was above the "Full mark" about 1/2 inch. It isn't high enough that it would overflow, but it is still about a 1/2 inch above the full line and I wanted to see if this was normal or not?

I ran it again the next day longer, thinking that the level would go back down a bit, but turns out its the same: when cold, the fluid is still at the check cold line, and it rises above the full mark about a 1/2 inch after a mowing, then slowly goes back down to the "Check cold" mark about an hour after mowing.

Is this normal for the fluid to rise up past the full mark when hot?

Thanks for any feedback.

/ X500 Transmission Fluid Change - Question #2  
Well now that that has happened, the transmission will have to be removed, split into half, meticulously cleaned and a tiny 8mm o ring replaced. Shouldn't take you more than 12 hours... :) Kidding of course. The little tank is there to allow for expansion, so a rise in the level warm is normal.

/ X500 Transmission Fluid Change - Question #3  
Yep - totally normal. My X500 does the same thing. The oil level should always be checked when the machine is cold, preferably after sitting over night. The reservoir tank markings can be deceiving as it only holds a few ounces of fluid.

/ X500 Transmission Fluid Change - Question #4  
Well now that that has happened, the transmission will have to be removed, split into half, meticulously cleaned and a tiny 8mm o ring replaced. Shouldn't take you more than 12 hours... :) Kidding of course. The little tank is there to allow for expansion, so a rise in the level warm is normal.
Good afternoon,

I hope you don’t mind me chiming in on an old post.

But I have a concerning question in regards to an issue that just occurred. I have a 2019 X590 and always noticed the trans oil level is always just on the add line when cold. So I added probably 1 or 2 oz of JD low viscosity HY-Gard to bring the level to just under full. This is a cold reading. After running the mower for about an hour and a half or so I pulled it in the garage and noticed the trans oil has suddenly turned dark. Not too dark but toasty looking. It’s reading way over full as a hot reading which I hope is normal. Should I be concerned about the fluid turning dark all of the sudden. Strange
Mower has only 35 hours on the clock.

/ X500 Transmission Fluid Change - Question #5  
Some change in color due to the exchange of the fluid into the expansion tank wouldn't be abnormal. At 35 hours, all should be happy. Isn't a 50 hour change recommended by Deere? The majority never do the initial change, but if you are concerned- go ahead and change the oil. I changed one last week that had its first change at 400 hours and the oil still looked happy, but definitely darker than out of the bottle low vis. Welcome to the forum BTW.