X738 with Can Wiper Problems

/ X738 with Can Wiper Problems #1  

Z71

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere X738
My X738 is used just for snow removal and since new circa 5 yrs ago I have had issues with the wiper on the steel cab coming loose, even falling off in the snow and need metal detector to find it (happened once). The set screws won't hold it. They slip and the wiper goes out of pattern. Thread lock does not hold them.

Edit, new wiper arm is $125+ less wiper blade. Also found the motor shaft end is striped, so is the arm (cheap pot meal) so had to buy a new wiper kit for a total of $252. So if anyone needs any extra parts, all I used was the motor, arm and blade. The wire harness's were not needed.
DSC01375.jpg

Last edited:
   / X738 with Can Wiper Problems #2  
Did they change the design or materials? If not, how would you expect this one to work any better?

/ X738 with Can Wiper Problems #3  
What happened to John Deer's quality ?

/ X738 with Can Wiper Problems
Looks the same. Nothing else fits (exclusive JD part) and I needed the wiper to work. Snowing and blowing and can't see without it. I recall the first winter I had the machine the arm fell off. The motor almost came loose indicating to me sloppy installation. I suspect the set screws were not tightened down during setup and or the wiper arm was not fully seated. But that is just speculation, the JD parts guys said they had snot een anyone have this problem.

Male end of wiper motor stripped.
DSC01378.jpg

Last edited:
   / X738 with Can Wiper Problems #5  
I get why you need it. Me too on my tractor, but if this is a poor design, then replacing may only be a temporary solution.

I might suggest that you save the old one and modify it. If you can get the wiper arm aligned on the shaft correctly, then I would drill through the entire assembly including the shaft and put a roll pin in there to pin it together (after you put the motor back in the windshield, of course). With a thru hole pinning it, you will be able to drive the pin out later if need be.

Or just do that mod on the old one and return the new one...

I did save the old one for now but I did not index the wiper arm and mark it before i removed it so I can't do the drill a hole now. They cautioned me when installing the new one to cycle the motor on/off before attaching the arm so it cleans the appropriate arc.

Last edited:
   / X738 with Can Wiper Problems #7  
I did save the old one for now but I did not index the wiper arm and mark it before i removed it so I can't do the drill a hole now. They cautioned me when installing the new one to cycle the motor on/off before attaching the arm so it cleans the appropriate arc.
After 3 years mine is still tight, I suspect poor initial installation.

Attachments

• IMG_2537.jpeg
    IMG_2537.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 58
I suspect bad installation as well. Several things have come loose or fallen off the first winter. The service dept is too complacent and like to blame problems on the customer not coming back for them to do routine service. I bought my 1st tractor from them 20+ yrs ago and never got anything from them such as a 'Thank You' for your business. This sure is not the model JD dealer but the only one within 100 miles and then the next is owned by same corp entity.

/ X738 with Can Wiper Problems #9  
Yeah I had several poor assembly issues from the dealer on my Kubota too. The worst was they seriously hosed up the 2 rear hydraulic remotes. Cross connected hose and levers so that nothing would work until I sorted it out myself (in the field too, Grrrr)