XC drag build

/ XC drag build #21  
Why are you adding the side rake teeth up front? Not sure how much they will stir up the snow as narrow as they are. Are you having the serrated teeth water jet cut. I once saw a X country ski drag that used sickle mower sections for the serrated teeth.

Do people snowshoe on the trails?

Why is skating for sissies? I thought it was faster and more efficient.

Looks like a cool project.

/ XC drag build
Why are you adding the side rake teeth up front? Not sure how much they will stir up the snow as narrow as they are. Are you having the serrated teeth water jet cut. I once saw a X country ski drag that used sickle mower sections for the serrated teeth.

You ask; Why are you adding the side rake teeth up front? Not sure how much they will stir up the snow as narrow as they are.

My response; If you have fresh snow, those teeth will knock air out ahead the teeth. Like if you drug a garden rake through snow, doesn't it knock some air out? Many days we have minimal fresh snow, lets say 1". Then these harrow tines should be adjusted to scratch up some old snow so it will mix it in with the fresh. This is what you want.

You ask; Are you having the serrated teeth water jet cut.

My response; There will be cut from hardened .250 plate via cnc plasma torch.

You ask; Do people snowshoe on the trails?

My response; Yes, we allow snowshoers, walkers, dogs and phat bikes. We like to keep the rules at a minim.

You ask; Why is skating for sissies?

My response; Skaters like smooth trails that are very hard packed and since we don't skate, I am being facetious. ;) Skate trails do require more work and implements to keep nice.

/ XC drag build
I took the day off my real job and worked on this drag for most of the day. I'll post pics after progressing them but you'll not be impressed with how little I got done. o_O

/ XC drag build
These plates will hold the hitch on and cut from 3/8 plate. In this pic I'm kerfering these 1/2 holes out.
I actually got more parts built that whats shown here :p.
P1010970.jpg

P1010974.jpg

This print shows the pan which is on order from a local fab shop. This is in the back of the drag and holds the whole thing together, really.
pan details0975.jpg

In this pic of one I build some years ago, the pan is on the right.
new drag top view.dl.jpg

Last edited:
   / XC drag build
So are you going to venture east and ski or snowshoe with us this winter? :giggle: Hope so! We used to reside in Duluth and my spouse is a St. Scholastica grad.

/ XC drag build #26  
I couldn't figure out why I saw huge lines of new snowblowers in front of stores in Houghton, MI in July. Then I went back to Houghton in DECEMBER!

1633187104315.png

/ XC drag build #27  
1633188099550.png

/ XC drag build
Back to this drags construction, this is what it commonly looked like while I was out there working.
mud lake loop good (DL).jpg

Attachments

• ST gorge new snow (good).jpg
    ST gorge new snow (good).jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 76
   / XC drag build
I've been told a need a catchy name for this new design. So far I've came up with the following. The cleaver drag, the hatchet, the machete drag, the dicer or the mincer drag? I like the dicer drag best, since it almost rimes. Please vote for one, or does someone have a better name? :unsure:

/ XC drag build #30  
  • Trail Tamer
  • Laceration
  • Snow Tamer
  • Dragzilla
  • Ginsu Drag
  • Slasher
  • Drag Queen