Xj2025h best pto wood chipper

/ Xj2025h best pto wood chipper #1  

Ericredslslingshot

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ls xj2025h
I have been looking all over the place for a PTO wood chipper that my tractor can handle. Manual says 18.5 at PTO. Does anyone have a wood chipper that works great?

/ Xj2025h best pto wood chipper #2  
Used a MacKissic TPH-122 on my JD 4010 for 9 years until the 4010's Ujoint blew apart, and I traded it for another tractor. Still using the TPH-122 on my JD 2025R. Works great and is easy to maintain. I had a stand-alone TroyBilt Tomahawk, a very similar machine, before. IT was a beast to maintain.

The 4010 had 18.5 hp at the engine. It would bog ever so slightly on a limb at around 3". Never ever shut the machine down like I used to do the 8 hp Tomahawk.

Ralph

/ Xj2025h best pto wood chipper
Thanks for your reply but a small chipper like that isn't going to satisfy what I'm looking for. I'd like to get something that would chip 6 or so inches on my 18.5 HP PTO. I've been searching all the makes and still have not come to a conclusion that will really work on my tractor. I'm also considering buying a stand-alone with its own engine but that's just another engine to take care of which I'm not crazy about. I'm just the homeowner and it goes to show you buy a tractor and then you find out what it can or cannot do. If I'd known better I would have bought a tractor with more HP at the PTO. Hindsight is great.

/ Xj2025h best pto wood chipper #5  
Thanks for your reply but a small chipper like that isn't going to satisfy what I'm looking for. I'd like to get something that would chip 6 or so inches on my 18.5 HP PTO. I've been searching all the makes and still have not come to a conclusion that will really work on my tractor. I'm also considering buying a stand-alone with its own engine but that's just another engine to take care of which I'm not crazy about. I'm just the homeowner and it goes to show you buy a tractor and then you find out what it can or cannot do. If I'd known better I would have bought a tractor with more HP at the PTO. Hindsight is great.

odds are you're not going to find something that will chip 6 to 8 inches on under 30 HP at the PTO. I have a titan BX42S that will do up to 3 with my XG3025, I have snuck a few close to 4" through, but those will mostly break the sheer bolt. I've had this one a while and I really like it. We cut down a 75' tall pine tree this week to make room for an RV cover for our camper, and I spent most of the day today limbing and chipping. Already did a few hours a few days ago, and about one more good day like today I'll be done.

I made my own leg kit based off pics I saw of some on one online.

IMG_8680.JPG

this is the other day, I was chipping into the dump cart behind the ATV and taking them to the side of the yard and dumping out, because part of the tree was in the driveway and I didn't want to just chip them there

IMG_9940.JPG

ok edit to add: mine was half the price of that woodmax. Just because it has an 8" opening, doesn't mean it will chip an 8" limb with your tractor. Read through the comments and see if anyone has fed any more than 2 or 3 inch pieces through on low HP (PTO) without constantly breaking the sheer bolts

/ Xj2025h best pto wood chipper #6  

You’ll have to get a bigger tractor, you don’t have the HP to chip 6”. 5HP PTO per foot of brush hog, 7HP PRO per inch of chipping I believe are the recommended PTO HPs. So if you want to chip 6” you need ~40 PTO HP.

/ Xj2025h best pto wood chipper #7  
Bigger Tractor

Not necessarily. Among other factors, the type of wood will determine capacity.

I purchased a Woodmax 8M for my LS XJ2025h that has less than that on the pto (17hp, I think) When it arrived, I thought I had made a major mistake and ordered an 86H, but since the 86 was back ordered, I decided to try the 8M with the XJ2025h.

Bottom line, it was excellent for cedar (Juniper) sometimes over 6" in diameter. The XJ2025h would bog down slightly when something that large hit the blades, but the LS would increase the throttle and the 8M would chip it at the same rate that it would chip a three inch piece.

The 8M has a huge and heavy (200+ lb) flywheel that is driven by a belt drive that increases the flywheel rotation to 1120 rpm. I used it for around 120 hours and cleared most of the low cedar on our lot. My wife _loved_ the 8M after years of not being able to use a 6hp patriot because of it's difficulty and danger.

The 8M has a mechanical feed, and for anyone considering it, I strongly recommend the hydraulic feed model despite the increased cost. The mechanical feed did jam on several occasions and there are problems when it does. The emergency feed disconnect is under so much pressure when a jam does happen that the bail lever that decouples the gearbox bends without disconnecting, so, the immediate result is that the feed drive belt burns up. (I learned that in the event of a jam to go straight for the PTO switch on the tractor.)

The 8H, doesn't have that problem.

In addition, I learned from using the 86H after I sold the 8M that the feed reversal alone is worth the extra cost. It absolutely ends feed jams.

An extra benefit is that since the hydraulic feed speed is adjustable, that further increases the ability to chip large diameters and harder wood by reducing the feed speed.

Final notes would be that the 86H doesn't have the same capacity, but it is smaller and lighter, so it's more manageable by this aging body after we finished most of our clearing. In addition, the 86 hopper folds so it requires about half the storage space as the 8M did.

I'm obviously a WoodMaxx fan. I'll be glad to answer any additional questions that anyone might have, including a number of minor mods that I made to make using the 8M more pleasant.

Beverly Howard

/ Xj2025h best pto wood chipper #8  
Not necessarily. Among other factors, the type of wood will determine capacity.

I purchased a Woodmax 8M for my LS XJ2025h that has less than that on the pto (17hp, I think) When it arrived, I thought I had made a major mistake and ordered an 86H, but since the 86 was back ordered, I decided to try the 8M with the XJ2025h.

Bottom line, it was excellent for cedar (Juniper) sometimes over 6" in diameter. The XJ2025h would bog down slightly when something that large hit the blades, but the LS would increase the throttle and the 8M would chip it at the same rate that it would chip a three inch piece.

The 8M has a huge and heavy (200+ lb) flywheel that is driven by a belt drive that increases the flywheel rotation to 1120 rpm. I used it for around 120 hours and cleared most of the low cedar on our lot. My wife _loved_ the 8M after years of not being able to use a 6hp patriot because of it's difficulty and danger.

The 8M has a mechanical feed, and for anyone considering it, I strongly recommend the hydraulic feed model despite the increased cost. The mechanical feed did jam on several occasions and there are problems when it does. The emergency feed disconnect is under so much pressure when a jam does happen that the bail lever that decouples the gearbox bends without disconnecting, so, the immediate result is that the feed drive belt burns up. (I learned that in the event of a jam to go straight for the PTO switch on the tractor.)

The 8H, doesn't have that problem.

In addition, I learned from using the 86H after I sold the 8M that the feed reversal alone is worth the extra cost. It absolutely ends feed jams.

An extra benefit is that since the hydraulic feed speed is adjustable, that further increases the ability to chip large diameters and harder wood by reducing the feed speed.

Final notes would be that the 86H doesn't have the same capacity, but it is smaller and lighter, so it's more manageable by this aging body after we finished most of our clearing. In addition, the 86 hopper folds so it requires about half the storage space as the 8M did.

I'm obviously a WoodMaxx fan. I'll be glad to answer any additional questions that anyone might have, including a number of minor mods that I made to make using the 8M more pleasant.

Beverly Howard

Thank you Beverly for the well written reviews.

/ Xj2025h best pto wood chipper #9  
I bought a Woodmaxx WH-8M, found it to be a very good product. Used it a lot. I see on their site they have a smaller one listed that only requires 18HP minimum. Check it out.

WC-8N Economy Wood Chipper | Wood Shredders for Sale - WoodMaxx兌/url]

George

That sure looks like my Jinma 8" chipper that I paid a lot less for.
This is todays version recommended for 18 - 45 HP tractors.
[url=https://www.circlegtractorparts.com/jinma-woodchipper/jinma-8-wood-chipper]Jinma 8" Wood Chipper | Jinma Wood Chippers and Farm Pro Wood Chippers | Circle G

I have chipped with my Ford 2N ( 70+ year old tractor) and/or my Ford 1510. (pto 19HP rated)
I have chipped stuff up to the 8" max but usualy burn anything as firewood anything that size.
I can swear to green oak up to 4" & some larger.
It is now 8 years old & looking forward to another full season of clearing the property lines & clean up after getting firewood.

As you are looking, at least look at this website & if you like what you see shop around, you may be able to find a better price. (I'm cheep, I hate paying for a NAME when the exact same thing is available under a "lesser" name.)

/ Xj2025h best pto wood chipper #10  

Looks like a very similar design to the 8M. Since WoodMaxx obviously buys from other mfg's wonder if they either bought from Jinma or purchased rights.

One thing to add to the purchase decision is the shipping cost. At over 800 lbs that's going to a be significant factor (WoodMaxx ships for free)

That _looks_ like the WC-8N chipper which is $2,049. fwiw, I looked at that one initially and elected to go for the 8M but if low cost is a driving factor, I think either would be a good choice.

Beverly Howard