XR4046 losing coolant

/ XR4046 losing coolant #1  

AaronS

Platinum Member
Tractor
LS XR4046HC, New Holland Boomer 1020
My tractor just started this a week ago. It's a very slow leak from the overflow tank.. I haven't had time to look into it yet, and I plan to have the dealer take care of it under warranty, but with them being 75 miles away it's going to be a bit.

Attachments

• 20140704_155012.jpg
    20140704_155012.jpg
    669.2 KB · Views: 240
  • 20140704_155005.jpg
    20140704_155005.jpg
    663 KB · Views: 174
   / XR4046 losing coolant #2  
My tractor just started this a week ago. It's a very slow leak from the overflow tank.. I haven't had time to look into it yet, and I plan to have the dealer take care of it under warranty, but with them being 75 miles away it's going to be a bit.

I would try reseating and tighten that clamp. Or just try and see if just you can tighten it a little.

/ XR4046 losing coolant #3  
I'd try a piece of hose or plastic cut from a milk jug or similar and slide it under the existing clamp and then add a second clamp, not too tight, so the current clamp holds the plastic/hose patch in place and the second one keeps it tight against the leak and try it out. You don't have to wrap around the entire hose with your patch, but maybe loosen both current clamps and try turning so the leak is at the top of the hose, so you can get it nice and clean, then wrap electrical tape around the hose's leak and then add the patch and second clamp. Meantime order a new hose from your dealer to be sent direct to you.

Ooops, just re-read your post; you say it's leaking from the overflow tank? Could the tank be too full when cold? Have you tried tightening your radiator cap when the tractor's cold? Is the overflow boiling coolant when it is leaking?

/ XR4046 losing coolant #4  
It is always possible that it may not be leaking at that clamp but another to the right or left and flowed down and around. I would check all the clamps but first try to look under the hose and see if you can follow where the coolant may have came from. Leaks can some times take a bit to find the source.

/ XR4046 losing coolant #5  
My 5020 had the same problem. Found multiple small leaks. Tightening all my clamps seems to have fixed my problems. From the pictures looks like your leak is from the lower hose on the radiator. Good Luck

/ XR4046 losing coolant #6  
The OP said it is leaking from the OVERFLOW TANK, NOT the hoses.

/ XR4046 losing coolant #7  
The OP said it is leaking from the OVERFLOW TANK, NOT the hoses.
Yes but he show a pic of a leak on the hose not the tank and where on the tank is it leaking. A hole in the tank, overflow from the tank or the line running to the tank. All that would clear things up.

/ XR4046 losing coolant #8  
Yes but he show a pic of a leak on the hose not the tank and where on the tank is it leaking. A hole in the tank, overflow from the tank or the line running to the tank. All that would clear things up.

The OP stated: "It's a very slow leak from the overflow tank.. "
Until he shows up again to show or state something different, 'dems de factoids!:confused3::confused2:

/ XR4046 losing coolant #9  
The OP stated: "It's a very slow leak from the overflow tank.. " Until he shows up again to show or state something different, 'dems de factoids!:confused3::confused2:
Yea yea

/ XR4046 losing coolant #10  
Lol yeah not much info. The pic are of hoses not the tank. I did read the tank part but seen the pic he put up.