Oil & Fuel XR4145 Fuel & Starting issues.

/ XR4145 Fuel & Starting issues. #1  

Mtnmnstr

Bronze Member
Tractor
XR4145 & Farmall M
Ok guys, I know y'all are smart out there.
I have an issue with starting my tractor. Like y'all I used to jump on it , turn key wait a second or two and turn key and Vroom, it starts.
now I have to
1) pop hood, pump the manual pump on top of the fuel filter.
2) turn it over 2 or 3 times,
3) pump the manual pump
4) repet step 2 & 3 up to 5 times before it will start.

it runs great at all throttle settings.

I stop turn it off and try to start it again, Step 1.

Not throwing any error codes.

IT'S KILLING ME!!!!

The dealer said check for fuel leaks. Can't find any.
I was looking at the error code book and I see there is codes on the fuel system for low fuel pressure. I figured if I had a leak I would get a low pressure code.

Thank you for any help y'all can shed.

Last edited:
   / XR4145 Fuel & Starting issues. #2  
Re: Fuel & Starting issues.

You didn’t say what tractor you have. It sounds like you are losing prime to the pump.
Either the lift pump (if it even has one) is bad, or there must be a pin hole leak somewhere that is drawing in air, but not letting fuel out. Test the lift pump, then I would replace all the rubber lines and replace the filter and or water separator element.

/ XR4145 Fuel & Starting issues.
Re: Fuel & Starting issues.

XR4145, Added to my post.

/ XR4145 Fuel & Starting issues. #4  
You probably have a small fuel leak. The exact same thing happened to me! The "leak" was so small, it didnt drip fuel, but sucked air. Now, it does sound like my leak was a bit worse than yours, since it shut mine down with the same error code. Took the dealer mechanic and myself a few hours to find it, trying every trick in the book. Check your fuel line from the tank to the manual pump and to the rail. Dont just look at it, feel it all the way around, ever bit of it. It sounds like your tractor sucks just a bit of air for the pump to lose its prime. But when your running it, the air is such an insignificant amount, the pump can keep enough pressure to run the engine.

If it is not the fuel line, replace it anyway. :)

I couldnt find anything in the service manual for a lift pump. But I didnt read every page of it for the fuel system. See image for clarification.

Capture.PNG

Also, when you remove the fuel line, you will introduce much more air. That stupid hand pump is about useless. Get a little 12v solid state fuel pump to prime the system Amazon.com: Facet New Solid State Fuel Pump 12V 3-4.5Psi, 12" /3.48Cm Min Dry Lift 6558398 D72347: Automotive. Just use a bit of fuel line to connect it to your system before the fuel filter. Once the system is primed, you can remove it and hook directly to the filter. Then use the hand pump thing to get the now small amount of air out. Much better than beating your head against the wall trying to pump that stupid thing for ever... ask me how I know. :mur:

That pump is useful is many different applications. Including when you need to change the fuel filter. Trust me, well worth the price tag.

A thought just occurred to me... as I was writing this, BEFORE you do all this, make sure your bleed valve is completely closed. See photo. bleed.PNG

Lastly, please let us know how this turns out, and good luck. :thumbsup:

/ XR4145 Fuel & Starting issues. #5  
Just curious if your tractor has the in house LA made engine or a Shibura/Mitsubishi?

My 2017 XU6168 has the LS built engine. I can drain the water separator and install a new filter. Then I press the primer pump on the filter housing about 25 times and it fires off and runs without missing a beat. I am impressed it works so well. every time.

/ XR4145 Fuel & Starting issues.
Thanks for the help guys.
After suffering from a bad case of stupid and slushy wet rain n mud. I was talking to the dealer and remembered the post from Avenger. Not knowing anything about this fuel system and after filling the fuel filter with fuel , I thought that was enough when I changed filters.
I bled the system of A LOT of air and it starts 2ed attempt now.
ALL IS GOOD IN THE WORLD!!!!

Thank you to a great group of guys.

/ XR4145 Fuel & Starting issues. #7  
Glad you got it working! Thanks for the update!! :thumbsup: