Canopy XR4155 ceiling fasteners

/ XR4155 ceiling fasteners #1  

Cycledude

Veteran Member
Tractor
LS XR4155, Ford 6610, Ford 8n
Yesterday I noticed the right rear ceiling fastener was loose and sticking out a little, it has a head like a Phillips screw so decided to try tightening it. Absolutely no luck tightening and I not sure it actually a screw type device, there are a bunch of other fasteners in the ceiling so I turned on a few of them and accomplished nothing. I suspect they are actually some kind of plastic fastener that I have never experienced before . Can anyone here explain how these fasteners actually are supposed to work ?

/ XR4155 ceiling fasteners #3  
It sounds like you have, as you suspected, plastic fasteners which expand to some degree as the screw is tightened. These are quite common in automotive use as well. You can find an assortment at the auto parts store.
I went ahead and ordered an assortment from Amazon for about what I was paying for a small package locally.

/ XR4155 ceiling fasteners #4  
The screw head is only there to ease removal if you need to back them out. They get pushed in during installation.

If it came loose, the proper fix is to back the screw out enough that you can then remove the whole fastener. Then push the ceiling panel back into place, put the fastener into the hole, and push in the center part to snug it up.

/ XR4155 ceiling fasteners #5  
You should have metal screws in the corners that hold the ceiling up. Those plastic screw wedge fasteners are for various other things.

/ XR4155 ceiling fasteners

Yes thanks for the link those do look very similar , after reading about them I pulled the fastener completely out of the ceiling. To me it looks like that fastener was never properly installed at the factory because the holes don’t line up properly. I stuck a punch in the hole to help line it up and that does help but do not know yet if I will be able to reinstall the fastener . Brought the fastener in the house where it is warm and taped the tips together with painters tape hopefully they will not spread out as far after the tape is removed so I will be able to reinstall it properly later today.

/ XR4155 ceiling fasteners
Well I tried reinstalling the fastener but it turned out the same as it was it is not holding anything.

Avenger yes the two front corner fasteners are steel all the rest are these plastic things, if the hole was lined up properly it would probably work fine, tomorrow I might try loosening the two front corner fasteners and see if that helps align the rear right corner holes properly .

RSR I’m sure removing and reinstalling the ceiling panel was a pretty difficult job, congratulations on your success completing the job successfully !

/ XR4155 ceiling fasteners #9  
It was tedious ... and hard to keep track of all of the fasteners.

My experience was the same. If they don't line up well, they don't do a good job of staying in place. Hopefully loosening things up a little will give you enough wiggle room you can get it fixed.