Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices?

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,261  
Just saw some 7/16" OSB sheet goods for $32 per at my favorite local Home Depot. That's less than a third of the peak price. Not good, but lower.

Anyway, I hope a shoplifter does not burn down this Home Depot, like what happened a few weeks ago a few miles away in San Jose. Millions of dollars in inventory up in smoke.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,262  
Bought some 2x4x12'. I checked the price of pressure treated just to see how the PT and non PT compared in price. Turns out the PT board was $3 cheaper than the non-PT board.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,263  
I got 6x6x10ft pressure treated posts $35 Lowe's and did this project today, cut in half, three galvanized 12" bolts to existing 30" 6x6s, then chain galvanized 6" bolted to it.
90+ degrees and 153# wet lumber wasn't much fun, glad it's over. A 6+ft fall wouldn't have been much fun either.
20220531_173745.jpg
20220531_173845.jpg

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,264  
Why would Lowes have a company on the other side of the world ship pine lumber to America?

I am just trying to understand this???
Because you buy it. Go to local place if you want local. Tons of people on marketplace and CL with sawmills cheaper than that pine.

Jeff

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,265  
I work for the company that receives, treats, and ships the lumber to Lowe's. We used to get a little bit of domestic fencing (dog eared pickets) but it was much more expensive, and most of the mills didn't like supplying it to us and eventually quit producing it. The stuff we get on the container ships from Brazil and wherever else it comes from is apparently much cheaper and it's really about all that's available.

I work in the department that builds the premade fence panels and back when we could get the domestic dog ears it was much easier to work with. The stuff we get now we have zero connections with the mills that produce it so we just have to take what we get. It's inconsistent and the quality varies.

I would guess it's a similar situation with the pine bought for shelving up above. They can get it in the quantities they need and get it cheap. Lowe's is all about profits.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,266  
I work for the company that receives, treats, and ships the lumber to Lowe's. We used to get a little bit of domestic fencing (dog eared pickets) but it was much more expensive, and most of the mills didn't like supplying it to us and eventually quit producing it. The stuff we get on the container ships from Brazil and wherever else it comes from is apparently much cheaper and it's really about all that's available.

I work in the department that builds the premade fence panels and back when we could get the domestic dog ears it was much easier to work with. The stuff we get now we have zero connections with the mills that produce it so we just have to take what we get. It's inconsistent and the quality varies.

I would guess it's a similar situation with the pine bought for shelving up above. They can get it in the quantities they need and get it cheap. Lowe's is all about profits.
Brazil grows Pinus radiata in huge plantations. Plant ‘‘em thick, cut ‘em quick’ is how they operate. Interesting enough, that species is native to California, where it’s not a commercial timber species.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,267  
Thread pruned of a post which contained politics. Does anyone actually read the rules they agreed to follow when they registered? Clearly, some have not, either that or they do not have the honor to abide by them.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,268  
Thread pruned of a post which contained politics. Does anyone actually read the rules they agreed to follow when they registered? Clearly, some have not, either that or they do not have the honor to abide by them.

That was me. Didn't occur to me it was over the line, since lumber prices (and all commodities) are impacted by political decisions. Will try to avoid discussing it.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,269  
Got an email today from Home Depot about a price drop on 2x8s.

Noticed that 2x12s prices are down about 20% vs. one month ago.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,270  
I need sanded BCX ply for beehives, still $40/sheet. Hopefully we get 100+ pounds of honey off the hives to offset the cost