Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices?

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,271  
Bought some premium pine for shelving in my house today at Lowes. It was expensive. I looked at the tag on the lumber and it said prodcuct of New Zealand. Maybe I am just naive and don't understand the lumber business but why can we not get our own wood from here in the states. We have plenty of loblolly pine right here in Virginia. Hundreds of thousands of acres across of good yellow pine just in this state. Why would Lowes have a company on the other side of the world ship pine lumber to America?

I am just trying to understand this???
Because ours is shipped to China Vietnam?
Lumber.jpg

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,273  
Just saw some 7/16" OSB sheet goods for $32 per at my favorite local Home Depot. That's less than a third of the peak price. Not good, but lower.

Anyway, I hope a shoplifter does not burn down this Home Depot, like what happened a few weeks ago a few miles away in San Jose. Millions of dollars in inventory up in smoke.
I never saw the peak price above $60. You are saying you saw it above $90/sheet?

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,274  
I never saw the peak price above $60. You are saying you saw it above $90/sheet?
I recall in late summer/fall 2021 that it was over $90, and the price was higher than 1/2" CDX (15/32") plywood.

I do not have pix of that, but here is one from MAY2021. I followed prices of redwood lumber closer, so I can not swear to the >$90 number for 1/2" sheet goods.

Attachments

• OSB_MAY2021.jpg
    OSB_MAY2021.jpg
    355.7 KB · Views: 81
   / Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,275  
I recall in late summer/fall 2021 that it was over $90, and the price was higher than 1/2" CDX (15/32") plywood.

I do not have pix of that, but here is one from MAY2021. I followed prices of redwood lumber closer, so I can not swear to the >$90 number for 1/2" sheet goods.

It is $27 US a sheet here at Home Depot right now. ($36 a sheet Canadian)

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,276  
$25.45 a sheet for OSB at Home Depot here. I'm building a she-shack for the wife this summer, need that price to keep falling!

A bit cheaper at Menards with the 11% rebate, but until they make that rebate more convenient, I'm not playing. Plus to walk a quarter mile to the "lumber desk" to wait in line to order lumber, then walk back up front to wait in line and pay, THEN drive out back to the yard to pickup, THEN wait in line for loading assistance AND again to get inspected for departure.... takes an extra hour of bullsh!t just to buy some lumber.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,277  
Bought some 2x4x12'. I checked the price of pressure treated just to see how the PT and non PT compared in price. Turns out the PT board was $3 cheaper than the non-PT board.
I've noticed that a time or two. Strikes me as very odd that a board that had the additional work of PT would cost less unless it has to do with handling because the PT in the store always seems to be wet. Maybe PT is less expensive because they aren't having to keep it dry like interior use lumber?

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,278  
I've noticed that a time or two. Strikes me as very odd that a board that had the additional work of PT would cost less unless it has to do with handling because the PT in the store always seems to be wet. Maybe PT is less expensive because they aren't having to keep it dry like interior use lumber?

Supply and demand.

Housing market has been so overheated that softwood lumber prices increased in price ahead of many other goods. I was buying SYP 2x8s cheaper than I could buy 2x6s, and the 2x8s were roughly the same price as 2x4s of the same length. My presumption is 2x4s and 2x6s were getting sucked into an overly hot building market, with not enough supply available.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,279  
   / Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,280  
Maybe the same people that buy cut down pieces of PVC pipe because it fits in the trunk of their car?