Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices?

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,321  
I have a friend in sales at one of the large international wood products companies. He reminds me that nothing goes to waste. Odd size boards from milling or other product production gets package as all those odd size boards or cuts we might see in stores. Sawdust is sometimes sold for boiler fuel or cogeneration.

In the commercial chicken industry we said we sold everything but the ’cluck’. Chicken feet followed by wings were our most profitable items. Heads, blood, and feathers bring 6-8 cents a pound.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,322  
My point was, at let's say 6 dollars an 8 footer, why charge 36 for 3 4 footers?

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,324  
My father said that. So did his father. Except for the great depression. Neither had anything good to say about that.
IMO, its just 20 years of inflation all trying to happen in 2 years.

Really.....since ~2000....prices for just about everything were stagnant. Now its catching up.

I helped dad build his shop in ~2000-2001. 2x4x8's were ~$2.00-$2.50/board. And osb was ~$4.50/sheet
I built my first shop in 2007. 2x4x8 was $2.39 and OSB was $4.76
I built my current shop in 2015. 2x4x8 was $2.48 and osb was $5.49/sheet

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices?
#1,325  
Yeah, it's really like the economy is finally taking hold, unemployment is near record lows, more people have more money, though a lot of us don't.

I just don't understand why the stock market isn't taking note.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,326  
Weird, i just went to hd and lowes ….needed a dozen 2x4 8 footers. Lowes had them for $14.99 each and had several hundred in stock. H depot wanted $5.89 but had none left in stock. Im not willing to pay $15 for a stinking 2x4….so i guess ill wait.
Will they not price match on lumber? Maybe different grade? Seems to be a huge difference in price.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,327  
HD has 2x4x8 at $5.39 and 7/16 OSB for $27.38 out here today. Still way too high.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,328  
If it makes you happy, futures are almost down to pre covid prices.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,330  
I'll be happy when I see a 2x4x8 for $2.50, like it was a few years ago.