Yanmar 155d PTO up and down Hydraulics or just up?

/ Yanmar 155d PTO up and down Hydraulics or just up? #1  

blazer003

Tractor
Yanmar 155d
Hello all, I just purchased a Yanmar 155d with a loader and a brush hog in good condition about a year ago! Paid $3750 for it, in case anyone might be wondering, and honestly feel like that was a very fair price. It's been running great (save for a blown hydraulic hose on the bucket, but that was easy enough to replace) and clearing out lots of brush, moving some small piles of dirt, and getting little projects on our 5 acres done.

I recently purchased a 3 point auger and blade attachment for the tractor off of craigslist, and for the first time I realized my Yanmar 155d doesn't have any downward hydraulics for the PTO. With the brush hog that was never an issue, as the weight is far enough out that it gravity drops just fine, but this makes the auger sometimes struggle to bite in hard clay soil. I looked through the manual, but nothing was definitive. I'm guessing this is just how this tractor was made, (I know many are gravity only) but wanted to make sure that this is the case. If it should have down hydraulics for the PTO, I want to dive in and get them working!

Thanks all, I've gleaned a lot from this forum already.

/ Yanmar 155d PTO up and down Hydraulics or just up? #2  
Welcome to TBN where you can learn a lot about our YM tractors. And the deal with your lift arms is they do not power down and we rely on the gravity sucks theory.

/ Yanmar 155d PTO up and down Hydraulics or just up?
Thank you, for the welcome and the information. I figured that was the case!

/ Yanmar 155d PTO up and down Hydraulics or just up? #4  
No down pressure until you get to much heavier tractors.

I was just dealing with this today with my 3-point backhoe. Trying to stick the teeth straight down into hard soil just raised the entire hoe. Frustrating. A chassis-mounted hoe would be better, to use the wieght of the tractor for downforce.

Something to know about 3-point augers: there are many many very serious injuries from people trying to add downforce, standing next to the auger and pushing down. Don't ever try this, or let anyone try to 'help' you.

/ Yanmar 155d PTO up and down Hydraulics or just up? #5  
I was just dealing with this today with my 3-point backhoe. Trying to stick the teeth straight down into hard soil just raised the entire hoe. Frustrating. A chassis-mounted hoe would be better, to use the wieght of the tractor for downforce.
You can add some "stay straps" or "stay bars" to keep the lift arms from raising up:
stay bars.jpg
stay strap.jpg
stay bars.jpg

/ Yanmar 155d PTO up and down Hydraulics or just up? #6  
   / Yanmar 155d PTO up and down Hydraulics or just up? #7  
You can add some "stay straps" or "stay bars" to keep the lift arms from raising up:
I've though about making restrainer bars like that. But this hoe is close-coupled and things are already busy under there.

Hooking up, after losing the ability to raise the 3-point to match the parked hoe height, would be difficult.

(First photo was to show using the hoe to pop out new oaks, that are too close to orchard trees for discing to hit).
20161112_151843_hdrr-bh-restrainer-jpg.489613

kimg0520rbackhoelaundrydrain2-jpg.644597

/ Yanmar 155d PTO up and down Hydraulics or just up? #8  
Hello all, I just purchased a Yanmar 155d with a loader and a brush hog in good condition about a year ago! Paid $3750 for it, in case anyone might be wondering, and honestly feel like that was a very fair price. It's been running great (save for a blown hydraulic hose on the bucket, but that was easy enough to replace) and clearing out lots of brush, moving some small piles of dirt, and getting little projects on our 5 acres done.

I recently purchased a 3 point auger and blade attachment for the tractor off of craigslist, and for the first time I realized my Yanmar 155d doesn't have any downward hydraulics for the PTO. With the brush hog that was never an issue, as the weight is far enough out that it gravity drops just fine, but this makes the auger sometimes struggle to bite in hard clay soil. I looked through the manual, but nothing was definitive. I'm guessing this is just how this tractor was made, (I know many are gravity only) but wanted to make sure that this is the case. If it should have down hydraulics for the PTO, I want to dive in and get them working!

Thanks all, I've gleaned a lot from this forum already.
The YM155(D) is a true SCUT. With this said, a normal 3PT auger PHD sized attachment will fail to work properly with your machine.

The YM155(D) machine needs a true SCUT 3PT auger PHD to properly work well for your machine. Recently, we learned this with a member having a Yanmar SA424 SCUT tractor.

What is the auger diameter are you using? 6, 9 or 12 inch. Size matters too.

The SCUT County Line PHD from Tractor Supply (602377) works super for your sized machine.
1663781020299.png

The LS PHD 100 is another good auger for SCUT machines.
https://www.(Temporarily blocked du...act-Tractor-Post-Hole-Digger-p/ls-phd-100.htm

The WorkSaver 300 is another.

Frontier Equipment PHD 100 made by Rotomec is another to look at.