Yanmar and Cub Cadet

/ Yanmar and Cub Cadet #1  

RobJ

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L2500
I'm sure yall have seen these but I shot a couple pics anyway. I like the color combo.

A guy near our weekend place sell these now, Bransons, and some various used tractors.

Rob

Attachments

• yanmarcub.JPG
    yanmarcub.JPG
    175 KB · Views: 549
  • yanmarcub (1).JPG
    yanmarcub (1).JPG
    163.7 KB · Views: 805
  • yanmarcub (2).JPG
    yanmarcub (2).JPG
    163.1 KB · Views: 744
   / Yanmar and Cub Cadet #3  
MAN!!!!! I BET THEM THINGS COST $20,000.00 TO MUCH $$$$$$

/ Yanmar and Cub Cadet #4  
I've got one of the new SC2400 SCUT. I needed something for our 4 acre hobby farm for loader work, mowing, and various chores related to the property and our horses. While I wanted something bigger, the size of our buildings and the number of trees on the property dictated a SCUT. I looked at many, including the JD2305 and the Kubotz BX24.

I finally decided to order the SC2400 without seeing one, based solely on the reputation of the Yanmar brand. I was not disappointed. I paid about $13,500 including the FEL, MMM, and delivery (90 miles).

The tractor is VERY well put together, and other than the MMM I don't see much that came from CC. As a matter of fact, all of the filters and routine maintenance parts came to me with only Yanmar numbers and markings on the packaging. From what I can tell, the mechanicals on this tractor are all Yanmar.

One thing that I do find funny though, is the throttle. After reading the official Yanmar Gray Market Statement which talked about the direction of travel for the throttle lever, I was quite surprised to see that the throttle on the SC2400 follows the gray market machines and not the US versions. You pull towards the driver for fast and push away for slow. Go figure. I guess that wasn't such a big safety issue after all.

I've had the machine hooked up to a KK 48" tiller and it cut new ground with no problems. I've also moved about 45 tons of recycled asphalt and graded our driveway, also with no problems. I think that I'm going to find many uses for the tractor as time goes on.

/ Yanmar and Cub Cadet #5  
The issue is not the quality, but the fact that it IS a contract tractor, marketed by a company other than the manufacturer. The history of parts supplies for contract tractors is not good. Seems they always become orphans when the contract ends.

/ Yanmar and Cub Cadet #6  
I am sure they are solid tractors. Using one in the sun may not be fun though. That black seat and hood will get awfully hot!

/ Yanmar and Cub Cadet #7  
A new dealership selling on those just popped up over night it seems here in Mobile. I have not had a chance to stop and take a look at them yet. I would worry about buying a big ticket item like that from a brand new dealer though. Who knows how long the dealer/brand will stick around.. I am sure they are fine tractors but, a few years from now who knows about support.

/ Yanmar and Cub Cadet #8  
Unless I seriously misunderstand things, about the only way to buy a tractor that is not a "contract" tractor is to either buy a Kubota or a gray market Japanese model. If not buying a "contract" tractor was the issue, then I suppose no one would buy a green machine either. Of course there are a few other brands on the market such as Kioti, but almost all the major players such as JD, CNH, and now Bobcat are selling "contract" machines.

I knew that I wanted a Yanmar, and I also knew that I wasn't too keen about spending $9,000 or more for a 25+ year old tractor. I priced quite a few gray market Yanmar units, and by the time I added the FEL, finish mower, shipping, etc. I just couldn't justify not having the new tractor warranty (2000 hours and/or 2 years bumper to bumper & 3 year drivetrain).

The dealer I chose is relatively close and has been selling ag tractors for generations in the same spot. They have been a CC dealer for many years. I just can't imagine that finding parts will be any more difficult than I've read many Yanmar gray market owners face. I can't count all the different threads on this board that discussed various parts that were in short supply. Remember, we're talking about getting parts from Yanmar for the most part since the drivetrain is made by them.

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that there won't ever be problems. What I am saying though is that this seemed to be a great way to get the quality that Yanmar is known for without having to get a decades-old tractor.

/ Yanmar and Cub Cadet #9  
You probably don't realize this, but green has stopped support for their first series of compacts, 650-1050. When parts inventory is gone, well.....we are currently selling to several JD dealers from our Yanmar aftermarket parts catalog for this reason. And actually you hit the nail on the head. There is probably better parts support right now for grey market yanmars than for any other tractor in the 25+ year old range....and this will continue because it is aftermarket support, based on profit from parts. OEMs would just as soon models become obsolete so customers buy new ones.

Unless this contract venture fares differently than virtually all others, 20 years from now there will likely be better parts support for 40 year old grey yanmars than for your tractor. In between now and whenever the parts support gets thin, you'll probably be just fine.

/ Yanmar and Cub Cadet #10  
...and for the reasons you just listed, I chose a tractor built by Yanmar. I figured that I'd be much better off with anything they built over the other like models built under contract. I wasn't as concerned with the name on the outside as I was with the name on the inside. The fact that all the maintenance parts I've needed have come from Yanmar, not CC, also makes me feel better.

All that being said, I seriously doubt that I'll still have this tractor in 25-30 years. I anticipate needing to trade up to a larger unit in much less time as our needs grow. Support that far down the road may be important to many, but for me the warranty was the primary selling point. The other big selling point was the HST tranny, which I found to be slightly more convenient for our needs than even the powershift models, especially with the shift-on-the-go hi/lo.