Yanmar FX32D 4x4 not working

/ Yanmar FX32D 4x4 not working #1  

WRG1

Tractor
1956 Ferguson TO35, Long 2610
I had a friend get on one of our tractors today and he said he was driving the tractor and a loud "POP" was heard in the front left wheel. From that point on the 4x4 quit working. It is making no grinding noises and operates as it should in two wheel drive. I have not disassembled it yet as I was hoping to find some kind of service manual or information before doing so. Can anyone help with diagnosis or supporting documentation?

thank you in advance..

/ Yanmar FX32D 4x4 not working #2  
Check the drive shaft under the tractor that supply's power to the front wheels.
You can jack up both the front and the rear, put it on blocks for safety and put it in 4x4 and see if the shaft turns.
If it doesnt turn, look at the front axle.

/ Yanmar FX32D 4x4 not working
Check the drive shaft under the tractor that supply's power to the front wheels.
You can jack up both the front and the rear, put it on blocks for safety and put it in 4x4 and see if the shaft turns.
If it doesnt turn, look at the front axle.
If it does NOT turn look at the front axle? when you put it in 4x4 it runs but doesnt engage the front axle... in gravel only my back tires were spinning...

/ Yanmar FX32D 4x4 not working #4  
Usually there is a coupler on the drive shaft to the front axle that acts as a mechanical fuse. Not sure if that's the case on the tractor but might be worth a look.

/ Yanmar FX32D 4x4 not working #5  
I had a friend get on one of our tractors today and he said he was driving the tractor and a loud "POP" was heard in the front left wheel. From that point on the 4x4 quit working. It is making no grinding noises and operates as it should in two wheel drive. I have not disassembled it yet as I was hoping to find some kind of service manual or information before doing so. Can anyone help with diagnosis or supporting documentation?

thank you in advance..

From what I was told, only use 4WD when needed. Don't use it as the daily go to for all tasks.

Had anyone done PM to change out the old lube oil in the front axle this past year?

/ Yanmar FX32D 4x4 not working #6  
By checking the driveshaft you can eliminate transmission drop box and driveshaft. I believe tractorernie was suggesting you need to assure power is actually getting to your front axle.

Usually there is a coupler on the drive shaft to the front axle that acts as a mechanical fuse. Not sure if that's the case on the tractor but might be worth a look.
I will look it over Tuesday when I get to it in person. Just trying to see if anyone has any ideas which helps a lot when I first get to it.

From what I was told, only use 4WD when needed. Don't use it as the daily go to for all tasks.

Had anyone done PM to change out the old lube oil in the front axle this past year?
In my part of the world we run all of our tractors with the front axle engaged due to being in the upper part of the Appalachian mountains, my front porch sits right at 2000 feet. It took my kids two years of being an adult and in Texas for their legs to become the same length after walking on the side of these mountains for 18 yrs.

By checking the driveshaft you can eliminate transmission drop box and driveshaft. I believe tractorernie was suggesting you need to assure power is actually getting to your front axle.
I understand the direction of the troubleshooting here, I was just looking for clarification. If the front driveshaft is NOT turning then I need to look at the front axle? I thought it would be if the front driveshaft IS turning I would need to look at the front axle?

/ Yanmar FX32D 4x4 not working #10  
Not to good with words but I think you understand.