Yanmar SA221, new to tractors and have questions...

/ Yanmar SA221, new to tractors and have questions... #1  

josem926

Tractor
Yanmar SA221
I bought this tractor with low hours, it came with 135 hours and I've put 5 hours on it so far, and am wondering a few things. The 3 point position lever I have on neutral NOW, didn't realize this before I started using it, since I have a backhoe attached. What about the knob under the seat, should that be off and only turned up when I have a 3 point hitch implement attached? I watched some Yanmar Academy videos and it made it sound like I shouldn't even be moving the tractor at all with the knob under the seat turned to off. I changed the engine oil yesterday as it was too dark to my liking, got a NAPA oil filter that WIX said part number 51358 was their equivalent and NAPA gave me theirs. I would have assumed it had to have been done recently but not my the looks of it. In doing that I also checked and saw the trans/hydraulic fluid was low, at the bottom level of the little glass window. I assumed since it was that low it was probably half empty, so I bought a 2.5 gallon jug of Mobil Delvac and it took about 3/4 of a gallon to get to half the glass, but when I turn it on and start moving the bucket and backhoe it goes lower, is that fine? I turn it off, move the joysticks around to remove pressure, and it's back to half. How should I have everything positioned when topping it up?

/ Yanmar SA221, new to tractors and have questions... #2  
normally the knob underneath is for the 3 point only. the backhoe uses power beyond. so on my tractor I don't touch that knob unless I have a implement on the 3 point. Normally you check the oil with the tractor off. but after running it , and moving the loader and backhoe around. it may drop the level some if there is any air in the system. so check after the 1st few uses .Position shouldn't make a difference.

/ Yanmar SA221, new to tractors and have questions... #3  
Also….for what it’s worth…..engine oil in a diesel will turn dark black almost immediately. That’s normal.

It’s not like car engine oil that will stay relatively clear for a long time.

The best way to track the engine oil usage is to write the date and hours on the filter when you change them. I then change mine after 50 hours or two years, whichever comes first.

/ Yanmar SA221, new to tractors and have questions...
Ok, maybe I changed the oil without needing to, better safe than sorry since I wasn't the original owner? What about RPMs, I see it has a mark where I guess it should be set to use the PTO connections, but is there a recommended for using the front loader or backhoe?

/ Yanmar SA221, new to tractors and have questions... #5  
Use above 2000 rpm to operate the loader or backhoe. Idle is about 1400 and doesn't provide flow and force necessary to effectively operate the loader or backhoe. You may want to rev all the way up for maximum flow, your implement side will thank you.
As for the oil, diesel oil turns black almost immediately after starting the engine. Filters may fit, and may have the same micron rating but not all are created equal. If you bought the tractor from a dealer or end user, the warranty may be transferrable. Why risk voiding the warranty to save a couple of dollars?