yanmar snowblower

/ yanmar snowblower #1  

R W Mowry

I bought a yanmar model Y M 8-48 rear snowblower, I was told that some yanmar equipment runs backwards on the PTO's of other tractors, does anyone know if this is true? The snowblower is froze up right now so I can't tell which way it will turn. I was wanting to mount it on a Kioti tractor. Also if any one can tell me where to get a parts/owners manual for this snowblower?

Last edited:
   / yanmar snowblower #2  
All Yanmar pto shafts run the correct way. This rumor is spread to discourage people from buying Japanese model tractors. When I fact Satoh & Kubota each had a backwards running ptos on a US model. I believ I can supply a parts/owners manual

/ yanmar snowblower
The snowblower is a Yanmar model Y M 8-48 serial # 792177. It also says Ber Vac Canada on the tag. Please let me know about the owners/parts manual. The unit is froze up so I know I will need parts THANKS

/ yanmar snowblower #4  
There is a YMS-48 & a YRS-48. Could the 8 be a S?

/ yanmar snowblower
When I looked again it is a Y M S 48. I am also looking for a PTO shaft for this unit. Have you ever used one of these? if so do they work good?

/ yanmar snowblower #6  
Hi, I had the 48" unit and upgraded to a 60" because I destroyed the 48. (another story)

I have completely dismantled mine in order to refurbish it so can say that probably all you'll need are bearings which are available at most bearing suppliers.

Be sure to keep the auger shafts well greased and add zerks if not already installed.
The PTO shaft is a standard shaft and available from most equipment supply houses.

Basically only 3 bearings are on that unit and cost under $10 ea.
Use grade 5 bolts for shear pins with nylon self locking nuts, tighten snugly but not overly. (gr 5 shears cleanly)

Bervac is located in Drummondville, Que and since have changed their name.
Propriety parts are no longer available and the few that are are too pricy (like gearbox was $800+)
The impellor is 3 bladed about 16 ins and will not toss snow terribly far, for that reason I operate mine at 7-800 RPM vs 500 (I have 3 speed PTO)

While not a 'Heavy duty' blower it will do a respectable job as you get used to it.

"FROZE UP" is probably only the bearings IMHO!

Good luck and PM me if you wish more advice or tips.

/ yanmar snowblower #7  
I can supply you with a owner's manual/parts book, bearings & aftermarket pto shaft.

/ yanmar snowblower #8  
Hi, I had the 48" unit and upgraded to a 60" because I destroyed the 48. (another story)

I have completely dismantled mine in order to refurbish it so can say that probably all you'll need are bearings which are available at most bearing suppliers.

Be sure to keep the auger shafts well greased and add zerks if not already installed.
The PTO shaft is a standard shaft and available from most equipment supply houses.

Basically only 3 bearings are on that unit and cost under $10 ea.
Use grade 5 bolts for shear pins with nylon self locking nuts, tighten snugly but not overly. (gr 5 shears cleanly)

Bervac is located in Drummondville, Que and since have changed their name.
Propriety parts are no longer available and the few that are are too pricy (like gearbox was $800+)
The impellor is 3 bladed about 16 ins and will not toss snow terribly far, for that reason I operate mine at 7-800 RPM vs 500 (I have 3 speed PTO)

While not a 'Heavy duty' blower it will do a respectable job as you get used to it.

"FROZE UP" is probably only the bearings IMHO!

Good luck and PM me if you wish more advice or tips.

Followed your advice on the Ber-Vac, now RAD-Tech. Searching the web, there are FREE manuals galore for these machines. The real open question is, what model is close or exact match to the Yanmar models?

In the Yanmar brochure, these are listed ...

1615938534524.png

/ yanmar snowblower #10  
FOUND 1. The 51" and 63" Yanmar Snow Throwers by Ber-Vac, a RanTech Co.

rScotty brochure on the inside pages had the image I had posted earlier. That's 2 of the 4 sizes!

After searching the eBay to see what the cover page should be, I retro-fitted a nice clean one.

Basically many of the tractor manufactures got the same snow thrower back then, just painted differently. For the manual, the first page was the tractor company followed by the Ber-Vac on page 2 till the end.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• YANMAR YMS YRS 51 - 63 OM0028 08-85.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 115