Yanmar

/ Yanmar #1  

Anonymous Poster

Does anyone have a Yanmar tractor ? I know they're made by John Deere. Need info, looking for a small tractor and theese seem to be in my price range.

/ Yanmar #2  
I have a Yanmar 276D, its about 15 years old and I used it just for mowing, It is setup with a 60 inch belly mower and turf tires (my "real" tractor is a JD5410). Nothing bad to say about the Yanmar, but I doubt it is related to any of the newer Yanmar machines...also, I don't beleive they are made by John Deere...actually it was my understanding that Yanmar made a lot of the smaller engines for Deere tractors, not the other way around.

/ Yanmar #3  
John Deere does not make Yanmar. But Yanmar does make some stuff for John Deere.

A lot of people love Yanmars. I'm sure the quality is decent. Feature-wise the older ones you see around are pretty sparse, but that may not be important to you. It depends on what you're looking for.

Mark

/ Yanmar
I have a YANMAR import Model 1820 with 500 hours on it. It is a 1983 model and has more features than a lot of newer Kabotas including clutchless shifting. It is 22 hp,power steering, 4 WD with about 12 speeds - 3 main speeds on the automatic and 4 on a shift lever, 3 speed PTO, float control on the 3 pt. lift. It runs like and looks like new for $8000 inclucding the new 4 ft front loader. The only negative is the "rice" tires. It has standart 24" size so am looking for replacements on the back tires.

/ Yanmar #5  
Looks like you got good answers. Be sure you can get parts for the model you want to buy and also be sure that the tires are standard tire sizes. Most tractors are reliable and Yanmar has made a lot of stuff to Deere's specifications. That does not mean that you can buy the same things from Yanmar, unfortunately. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif You may be taking on a lot of problems with any Grey Market tractor, but the cost is less initially. Small Kubota, New Hollands, and John Deeres are better supported, but the price is higher.

/ Yanmar #6  
Check the Yanmar web site at www.yanmar.com.
It gives some info on grey market tractors. There are a lot of them for sale in the Birmingham, AL area. I think landscape contractors use them a lot.

/ Yanmar
Re: Yanmar parts supplier

Yanmar parts are more readibly available than many people think. Yanmar has a parts warehouse in the Chicago area & stocks a pretty good inventory of parts , especially for the US models. There are some parts no longer availalble for some models, particularly grey models that don't have a US cross. This is also true of US manufactured tractors of the same area. If you are looking for a parts source or would like to talk to some one about Yanmars , feel free to contact me at sheaftractor@coiinc.com or 815-284-3226.

/ Yanmar
I found a place called www.hoyetractor.com i got a 15hp model from them for about $3000. it had 300 hour on it but it runs great i use it for mowing and i bought a blade from them to level the driveway. haven't had a problem with it at all.

/ Yanmar #9  
I had a Yanmar 240 for 19 years before trading up to newer Kubota B2100. Used it for mowing, tilling and plowing snow. If I remember correctly, there are authorized Yanmar parts dealers listed on the Yanmar website. I had no mechanical problems and would recommend one if it is in your price range.

/ Yanmar #10  
Actually, Yanmar made all of John Deere's tractors under 40hp untill the 4000 series. Yanmar still builds the JD 4100 entirely. The remaining tractors in the 4000 series are built by JD but still powered by Yanmar engines.

Greg