Yard Hydrant Question

/ Yard Hydrant Question #1  

MikePA

Super Moderator
Tractor
Had TC25D, now JD X310
Does anyone know if it is possible to replace just the top (the part with the handle you lift up to start water flowing)?

The only thing wrong with our hydrant is the top has sprung a few (well, quite a few) leaks and the thought of having to dig up the entire hydrant, which is at lease 3 feet down, and reconnecting a new one to the underground water line is not something that fills me with joy, particularly since it is the only water source in our barn.

Thanks!

/ Yard Hydrant Question #2  
I have done a variation of that many times.
When the hydrant starts leaking, I pull the top end off, leaving the base, and using a rebuild kit, replace the gaskets, then put it back together. So far, no problems with leaks after the rebuild

If I understand you correctly, replacing the whole top mechanism, handle, rod, etc, would be overkill, unless they are damaged beyond repair.

/ Yard Hydrant Question #3  
Rebuild kit: new bottom stopper, top brass sleeve seal. Mine are Woodford brand. Look on ebay for "yard hydrant kit". You might need a flame wrench to heat up the top connection in order to loosen it (rust, corrosion, sealer, etc).

/ Yard Hydrant Question #5  
175179F2-1EC5-4C11-909A-9F820F9287BE.jpeg36599B02-3009-49DD-9A59-F3ED5E760E2E.jpeg

If its just leaking and not damaged and its like most hydrants.
You can adjust it to stop the leaks.

In the first pic there is an adjustment for the rod length.
Loosen the screw and raise the handle a bit, then retighten the screw.
This will stop the water from leaking in the off position.

In the second pic is the packing nut. It can be tightened to stop leaks around the shaft.

Of course sometimes the seals are too far gone and as the others
have said a rebuild is in order.

/ Yard Hydrant Question #6  
Just be ready for a worse case scenario. Mine leaked from the rod nut but I messed it up so I had to replace the top I thought. In doing that I broke the elbow connecting the hydrant to the water main because it was PVC.

The good news is I just trashed the whole thing and got a nice new one and put crushed stone around the base to it bleeds down nice. Better yet it was only 2 feet down so was easy to dig out plus I got a longer hydrant so I don't need to bend way over to make it work.

/ Yard Hydrant Question #7  
I have a single supply line out to my yard hydrant. Its buried at six feet but I always shut the supply line down the first week of October and let it drain down. No need for yard water in the winter.

Its a Woodford Iowa Freezeproof Yard Hydrant - got the rebuild kit when I put the hydrant in 32 years ago. Wonder how the rubber products are faring - if I could even find the kit now.

/ Yard Hydrant Question #8  
I have a single supply line out to my yard hydrant. Its buried at six feet but I always shut the supply line down the first week of October and let it drain down. No need for yard water in the winter.

Its a Woodford Iowa Freezeproof Yard Hydrant - got the rebuild kit when I put the hydrant in 32 years ago. Wonder how the rubber products are faring - if I could even find the kit now.

At my Dads insistence I purchased a repair kit for mine when we installed it in 85. Who knows where its at now. My son left a hose connected to ours one cold night and now its got a crack in the upper casting. Seeps a little when its on, no big deal only use this hydrant to water the dogs.

/ Yard Hydrant Question
Thanks for all the replies! The problem we’ve been seeing is the valve body (the red thing on the top) was seeping water - It is like it had pinholes in the casting. I tried using the putty that you mix (can’t recall the name now) and even Flexseal - nothing worked 100%. Woodford does not offer the ‘red thing’ as a replacement part so I will be buying the entire hydrant just to get that part. Still better than digging up the current hydrant.

/ Yard Hydrant Question #10  
I would hate to have to dig mine up. My son helped dig the trench from the house foundation out about 70 feet to where our hydrant is located. I dug the entire trench by hand down to about four feet - he dug the entire trench down the remaining two feet.

I think it was two years after we installed the hydrant - somebody( ???) left a garden hose connected. Next morning I went outside - heard water running - overnight it got cold - the ultra cheep plastic garden hose froze AND BROKE - than goodness. There was a large puddle slowly freezing in from the edges but the hydrant was still OK. It was spewing water like mad. Never forgot to turn off/drain down again. Never left a garden hose attached again - either. Close call.