Yard Hydrant ,,-,, Replacement

/ Yard Hydrant ,,-,, Replacement #1  

CADplans

Elite Member
Tractor
584 IH 4WD
My 25-30 year old yard hydrant refused to shut off,, so, rather than try to fix it, I ordered a new one from Amazon,,

The old one shows lots of corrosion where it was buried in the soil,,

fKoMWr6.jpg

I have the new one connected to the pipe, and the water pressure is back on, and ready to back-fill,,,BUT,,,

I am wondering,,,

SHOULD I slip a one foot length of 4 inch plastic pipe over the new hydrant?
(I would split the 4" pipe to get it on the hydrant)

That would give the discharged water plenty of space to go to,,,
and may slow the corrosion a little,,

I could even fill the 4 inch pipe with gravel.

The surrounding soil is VERY sandy.

The hydrant is plenty deep, it is about 3 feet to the elbow pipe connection,,
(The "TEE" connection shown is being abandoned,, and replaced by an elbow fitting)

Any other hints on back-filling?

/ Yard Hydrant ,,-,, Replacement #2  
Nothing you are going to do to stop the corrosion on the galvanized pipe. The 4” pipe is an interesting one. I’ve seen an upside down bucket with a hole in it but that’s sort of overkill. If you have bad soil or want to make it “perfect” most just pour a bag of gravel around the weep hole. And backfill the rest with native soil- especially your sandy stuff. I don’t really see an advantage to the 4” pipe. The surface area to drain off the hydrant isn’t that big as it’s too vertical.

/ Yard Hydrant ,,-,, Replacement #3  
I generally cut the bottom out of an old bucket, sink it in the hole, and fill it with rocks. We have some gooey clay around here that does not drain well.

/ Yard Hydrant ,,-,, Replacement
Nothing you are going to do to stop the corrosion on the galvanized pipe. The 4 pipe is an interesting one.

I generally cut the bottom out of an old bucket, sink it in the hole, and fill it with rocks.

Thanks for the replies,, :thumbsup:

Rather than 4 inch pipe,, the bucket comments made me think of an 8" plastic pipe that was a culvert,, that I tore out,,
it is sitting in the woods,,

I will cut a piece of the larger pipe,, bigger is always better,,,, RIGHT!!?? :confused2:

/ Yard Hydrant ,,-,, Replacement #5  
I am just curious.

What new hip lingo am I missing "-"?

Hydrant? Is that some southern term for shut off valve? Up here only people whp own fire hydrants would be the city for the the fire hydrants.

But down south I see they put the water meters right in the front yard. Looks so funny. In north the city water meter meters are in the basement.

/ Yard Hydrant ,,-,, Replacement #6  
Zerk
Yard hydrant is used in Ohio. We also have water meters in front yard

/ Yard Hydrant ,,-,, Replacement #7  
Also known as front proof hydrant. Water shut-off is in tee. Vertical pipe drains at tee after water shut off

/ Yard Hydrant ,,-,, Replacement #8  
General educational FYI - (frost-free) (yard) hydrants are used where you expect hard freezes and want to be able to use water.
The handle is actually a lever which operates a valve which is under ground - below the frost line - and when the hydrant is shut off, the water in the vertical pipe going up to the outlet will drain, so there's no water kept in a closed pipe to freeze and burst the line (or at a minimum block the use of water).

If you shut off your outside water lines and drain them for the winter, you don't need them; but they let you continue using the water line in cold areas.

/ Yard Hydrant ,,-,, Replacement #9  
Thanks for the replies,, :thumbsup:

Rather than 4 inch pipe,, the bucket comments made me think of an 8" plastic pipe that was a culvert,, that I tore out,,
it is sitting in the woods,,

I will cut a piece of the larger pipe,, bigger is always better,,,, RIGHT!!?? :confused2:

If you use pipe you would need a cap so dirt doesn’t fill it up. That’s the issue with 4” or 8”...........

/ Yard Hydrant ,,-,, Replacement #10  
My 25-30 year old yard hydrant refused to shut off,, so, rather than try to fix it, I ordered a new one from Amazon,,

The old one shows lots of corrosion where it was buried in the soil,,

fKoMWr6.jpg

I have the new one connected to the pipe, and the water pressure is back on, and ready to back-fill,,,BUT,,,

I am wondering,,,

SHOULD I slip a one foot length of 4 inch plastic pipe over the new hydrant?
(I would split the 4" pipe to get it on the hydrant)

That would give the discharged water plenty of space to go to,,,
and may slow the corrosion a little,,

I could even fill the 4 inch pipe with gravel.

The surrounding soil is VERY sandy.

The hydrant is plenty deep, it is about 3 feet to the elbow pipe connection,,
(The "TEE" connection shown is being abandoned,, and replaced by an elbow fitting)

Any other hints on back-filling?

I have three yard hydrants, in the same VERY sandy soil
Two need to be replaced. They are rusting on the inside.
The other one I replaced several years ago.
Coat the exterior of the new hydrant pipe with TWO coats of two part marine epoxy paint.
It will not rust externally.