Yellow Jacket Nests While Bush hogging, whats your plan?

/ Yellow Jacket Nests While Bush hogging, whats your plan? #61  
Sometimes the jump and run ends horribly so it is no joke if you are unprotected. This happened to a local person. :(

UPDATE: Police suspect bee attack led to death of man operating bulldozer
A few years ago a teen age boy of a man I worked for hit a hornets nest while brush hogging and tried to jump off but something happened and he went under the brush hog. His mother found him sometime later and the tractor was still running. I can only imagine what that family went through.

/ Yellow Jacket Nests While Bush hogging, whats your plan? #62  
Anyone have a pic of what the nest looks like? might be able to avoid if we know what to look for.

It’s just a small hole in the ground. You’ll never see it. Your best chance is spotting the yellow jackets swarming around. If you’re moving fairly quickly they usually won’t sting you on the first pass an the next pass around you have the chance to spot them. That tactic is more successful on a lawnmower vs a slow moving bushhog.

/ Yellow Jacket Nests While Bush hogging, whats your plan? #63  
After the first time and taking lots of Benadryl afterwards I wear a Tyvek Bunny Suit and Grandpa's Bee helmet...

So far the suit and helmet prevented any more stings but have to be careful undressing because stragglers will hang on.

Small hanging nests a shot of WD-40 after dark and nest is done.

Also poured gasoline down the holes at night and a rock to cover...

/ Yellow Jacket Nests While Bush hogging, whats your plan? #64  
Once ran into one when I had the Gravely with its bush hog out front. I ran away with it sitting there running. When they simmered down some, I went and rescued it. Hate them. If clothed, they'll sting through your clothing.

Seem to be getting a fair number of them this year. Been wet and easy for them to dig their holes. A skunk dug one out in the raspberry patch. Huge hole. Took me more than 5 gallons of mulch to refill the hole.
Probably ground bees. They make honey underground, a delicacy for skunks. Yellowjacket’s make paper nests in trees or attics or house waves, etc. No honey in their nests. Ground bees are aggressive and will chase you. Yellowjackets are more concerned with the nest and queen. Neither one’s stings are enjoyable.

/ Yellow Jacket Nests While Bush hogging, whats your plan? #65  
It’s just a small hole in the ground. You’ll never see it. Your best chance is spotting the yellow jackets swarming around. If you’re moving fairly quickly they usually won’t sting you on the first pass an the next pass around you have the chance to spot them. That tactic is more successful on a lawnmower vs a slow moving bushhog.
Yellowjacket nests look like a paper basketball, ground bees go down a hole or multiple holes.

/ Yellow Jacket Nests While Bush hogging, whats your plan? #66  
Probably ground bees. They make honey underground, a delicacy for skunks. Yellowjacket’s make paper nests in trees or attics or house waves, etc. No honey in their nests. Ground bees are aggressive and will chase you. Yellowjackets are more concerned with the nest and queen. Neither one’s stings are enjoyable.
Correction: house eaves

/ Yellow Jacket Nests While Bush hogging, whats your plan? #67  
Just keep going in the tractor watching the yellow jackets from the cab
It may be politically incorrect, but I keep a spray can of hornet/wasp spray in my (open) cab for just that reason!

/ Yellow Jacket Nests While Bush hogging, whats your plan? #68  
Just read an article about a guy was stung an estimated 20,000 times and actually swallowed some, was in a coma for a while but see like he’s going to survive.

/ Yellow Jacket Nests While Bush hogging, whats your plan? #69  
I'VE HAD THAT HAPPEN A FEW TIMES. I JUST KEPT ON GOING AND CONCENTRATED ON SWATTING AT THE ONES NEAR ME. GOT STUNG A COUPLE OF TIMES BUT NOT A LOT. CANT SHUT DOWN OR SHIFT FAST WITH MY OLD JD A. JUST RIDE IT OUT.

/ Yellow Jacket Nests While Bush hogging, whats your plan? #70  
My plan? Make sure I have a tractor with a cab. Problem solved.