Yellow jackets--start trapping soon!

/ Yellow jackets--start trapping soon! #1  

Pilot

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 770, Yanmar 180D, JD 420 (not running), had a Kubota B6200
As soon as your weather gets into the mid 70's it's time to start trapping those critters. In the spring you get the queens, which are the only ones that survive the winter. Each queen that successfully nests poops out up to 1000 babies, so catching a queen will make a big difference. When we built our place in the woods we had lots of YJ's, but since I startted trapping in the spring, we hardly see any--we do find the queens in the woodpile in the winter, however.

/ Yellow jackets--start trapping soon! #2  
Thanks for the reminder! I read the paper on the porch tonight for the first time this season and also encountered my first wasp. I was recalling this advice from some previous posts here and wanted to ask about it. You've answered my questions ahead of time, thanks /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Yellow jackets--start trapping soon! #3  
How do you trap the yellow jackets and wasps without also trapping the honeybees and "good guys"?

/ Yellow jackets--start trapping soon!
There is a trap available at Home Depot and other hardware type places. They are yellow plastic cylinders about 10" tall and 3, maybe 4" in diameter. The most prominent name on them is "Rescue" in yellow letters, although the maker is Sterling International: http://www.rescue.com/Home_RescueYourBackYard.asp. You put cotton in them with a pheromone supplied with the trap. The pheromone is specific to yellow jackets.

These traps start to appear on the shelf in midsummer when people start getting bothered by the critters, but spring is the best time to catch them.

I have tried other traps in the past and this was the best by far. Someone else may have come along with a good product by now. I have no connection with this company.

The traps aren't perfect. Some of the bugs escape. If the trap is in a sunny, warm place they will die quicker.

/ Yellow jackets--start trapping soon! #5  
Thanks Pilot
I was wondering when you were going to chime up this spring
I put my traps out 3 days ago, so far 0 has been caught.
But the wood pile thats another story !
Thanks Ernie

/ Yellow jackets--start trapping soon! #6  
Thanks for the reminder. I remember reading this thread late last summer (as we were having the house treated a second time for yellow jackets that thought our attic should be turned into an eco-system /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif), but of course forgot this spring. After reading this thread last night I promptly ordered 4 of the Rescue traps, with 3 replacement attractants, from ebay....$41 for all including shipping.

/ Yellow jackets--start trapping soon! #7  
I read this post last year, put out 3 traps (the yellow ones) and collected 5 queens. Last year was our smallest yellow jacket encounters we have had in awhile. Either my capturing the 5 queens contributed to this or it was just not a great year for them. Either way, it is pretty cool getting those queens in their all huffy while I stand on the outside looking in saying "come and get me now"

/ Yellow jackets--start trapping soon! #8  
Can these be bought at the local store somewhere? (lawn/garden, Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart...???)

I'd love to share the love with some of my local vespids!

/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ Yellow jackets--start trapping soon! #9  
The link posted has a Whereto buy page.
This info comes from that page.

Major national and regional retailers

RESCUE!® products can be found at selected locations of these retailers. Each includes a store locator on their web site.
Ace Hardware (RESCUE!® products available online)
Albertson's
American Drug Stores/Osco, Savon, Lucky
Do-it Best stores (RESCUE!® products available online)
Fred Meyer (Northwestern U.S.)
Home Depot (RESCUE!® products available online)
Long’s Drug
Lowe’s
Orchard Supply Hardware (California)
True Value Hardware
Wal-Mart

/ Yellow jackets--start trapping soon! #10  
Found some on the way home...I bought 5 traps. The directions don't mention how many to put around (1 per acre, 10 per acre)

I guess I'll put a couple near my house, couple near uncle & father in laws houses.

I wonder if it's better to put them on a hilltop verses valley?

guess I'll find out if/when I see any results inside the traps.