Yesterday. Would you buy and EV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #361  
I suspect it is for the same reason that cars in general have been hard to get: supply chain disruptions caused by politics.
This supports your supply chain factor but not your cause perhaps.

/ Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #362  
California banning small gas engines. I believe sub compacts will fall under that. Banning gas cars down the road as well
I believe the small-engine ban is for 25 horsepower and less. That will include a lot of fairly hefty groundskeeping equipment. For 22 years I've had a Walker mower with a 62-inch deck, powered by a 21-HP Kubota diesel. I cut grass that's a foot tall sometimes. Somebody tell me how long a battery would last in that. And what it will cost to replace said battery when it will no longer hold a charge.
The car ban takes effect in 2035, which sounds a long way off. But the development cycle for a new car model is on average six years. What manufacturer in his right mind would incur the expense of developing a new internal-combustion model that can only be sold for a few years? So for manufacturers, the California ban is effectively right now.

/ Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #364  
I stand by my statement.

Nice graph. It would help if it had a label and a source.
It is obvious that the vertical axis is the percentage of people living in poverty, and the horizontal axis is time. Does anybody dispute that poverty has plummeted in the past 100 years? I didn't believe it necessary to cite a source when even Wikipedia (see below) confirms this widely-accepted fact. Most of the world lives in a comparative paradise now, and that is mainly because for-profit businesses have provided reliable hydrocarbon fuels.
A larger population doesn't mean just more eaters; it also represents more ideas, more productivity, and more value created by trade. That is, so long as we are allowed to trade voluntarily and not have our choices dictated by politics.
880px-USAID_Projections.png

/ Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #366  
I still don't see how banning ICE sales isn't a violation of interstate commerce. Granted, they can make ownership as onerous as they want via taxes, reg fees, etc., but an outright ban on sales makes CA residents second class citizens in the US. If ICE sales ARE fully banned in CA, it seems the courts (at a minimum) would have to rule that CARB smog rules no longer apply & CA residents could buy federal EPA ICE vehicles out of state & register in CA without modification since manufacturers won't have a reason to make CARB compliant ICE vehicles available. At some point, common sense and economics will have to prevail ... even in the ninth circuit. As far as the small engine ban, my guess is that no one has seen the economics in suing (YET). When enough people are fined by the locals (or GOD FORBID property values decline) due to unkempt yards that CAN'T be mowed/maintained due to lack of power infrastructure to charge their electric mowers/chainsaws (and an inability to buy/run gas/diesel gensets to charge them) a good class-action shyster will be willing to invest the millions needed to win billions. The real solution will be when everyone leaves CA and the state collapses into bankruptcy due to an inability to collect enough taxes to support the regulatory class.

/ Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #367  
This supports your supply chain factor but not your cause perhaps.

The claim that current supply-chain issues have been caused by a Chinese drought is nonsense. This drought is a recent development, so while it might have an effect going forward, it does not explain why cars are hard to get right now, and have been for some time. It was kicked off by 'rona-mania. Not the virus itself, but the crazy political overreaction to the virus. It was destructive and it was worldwide.

/ Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #368  
You will own nothing and be happy

/ Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #370  
IMHO

Until the entire planet takes the kind of environmental action the USA has, climate change etc. is moot!

It still appears that it takes more fossil fuel to build solar and wind than they will ever make and you have to dispose of them after the 25 year depreciation. Their output can't be controlled. They are a cash cow for developers.

Ev's will or are overloading the grid, so the grid has to be upgraded before they will become efficient/effective.

After the grid is upgraded, we will have to produce more electricity and presentably that is impossible without fossil fuel and/or nuclear.

We live in a world with a lot of very bright people and without a doubt one of them will develop a solution to the above problems.

Then, manufactures will have to develop those solutions so that EV's/batteries are cheaper and better than ICE. NOTE "We have a 100 year supply of coal, at present usage".

The government has to get out of the way and let those "very bright people' do their thing. "GOVERNMENT ISN'T THE SOLUTION, IT'S THE PROBLEM"

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.