Yet Another Box Blade Question

/ Yet Another Box Blade Question
Glenn -
You make an interesting observation about the rock/soil mix we call home up there. The more I dig, the more rocks I turn up. The distribution is pretty uniform. Since I got the tractor last year, I have removed most of the larger stuff, from softball to football-sized and even larger ones for which I can't think of a sports metaphor. I've knocked off the highs and filled in the lows as best I could, leaving the terrain as you see it in the previous photos.

When I started the path project, however, I was surprised (as us benighted often are) at what transpired under the blade. On the first couple of passes, digging in agressively, I was able to define the general contours I wanted, but at the same time I just kept turning up the next layer of rocks. When I leveled out the box and started feathering the position control for a lighter touch, I was actually able to skim off a great deal of the surface rubble, which I then just discarded out of the way. The main problem at this point was the holes left by the most recently uprooted stones. Each successive pass filled in some holes, but continued to turn up more. Can't help but think guage wheels would have helped.

By this time I was pushing mostly fine dirt around, with just enough small rocks to be really annoying. Using the infamous hinged back blade, I was able to re-distribute some of this fine stuff the way I wanted, but without any down pressure (flapping in the breeze), it would just climb over these rocks or drag them along a ways, leaving undesirable grooves in the path.

It's as if Mother Nature wanted to cooperate, but wondered why the heck I was using a hinged blade. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Richard -
I didn't realize Mr. Chalkley had patented a knee patch in addition to everything else he's invented. I just call it my "duct-tape-over-the-knee-hole-cuz-I-might-be-walking-through-poison-oak" patch. The fact that it makes a fashion statement is just frosting on the cake. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Rob -
I am definitely looking at this as my "first" box blade. Unfortunately, circumstances (<font color=green>$$$</font color=green>) dictate that I stick with what I have for a while. When I do move up, it will be to a heavier box with hydraulic rippers, hanging off my TNT and bank of extra spools. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Kevin -
I think I understand what you're suggesting, but a sketch of your mind would help. /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

GlueGuy, Matthew -
The bolt idea sounds most feasible at this point, assuming there is no alignment problem and the stresses work out okay. Might just have to give it a try. The fender washers are a nice touch, but are we basically trying for a direct bolt-down?
BoxBladeLock.gif

HarvSig.gif

/ Yet Another Box Blade Question #92  
You Old Fart

Nice Shirt Harv.

I am a I.O.O.B. card carrying Member, International Order of Old Bastards.

Bx2200-(Altered,-Crop).jpg

Winnipeg, Manitoba
freebie-maple-leaf.gif

2001 BX2200 (20 hrs) All Kubota FEL,Tiller, box blade, blower w/elec shute, 60 mid mt deck, Ag tires.
Grey market B7000 w/Tiller (120 hrs)

/ Yet Another Box Blade Question
Re: You Old Fart

Uhhhhhhhhh...... thanks, Stephen! /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

That shirt was picked out for me a few years ago for my 50th birthday by my daughter.

At that time, she was six!!! /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

HarvSig.gif

/ Yet Another Box Blade Question #94  
Harv,

Yeah, that's the idea I had! I've even thought about it some more, and realize that the bolts don't even have to be large (or many), as the backward angle of the back blade won't be under a lot of pressure when going forward. Might even be able to get by with one or two of 'em... You can deal with the alignment issue by simply hand-drilling the holes. Might take a little while, but certainly do-able.

I should take a cue from you and do more of those little drawing thingies. Sure helps to get an idea across!

The GlueGuy

/ Yet Another Box Blade Question #95  
Harv, what were you thinking, duct tape on your jeans...... I can tell you are not from Arkansas... We can not aford the tape. I was thinking maybe a uppity Arkansan... but they would not have tape on their jeans in summer.

/ Yet Another Box Blade Question #96  
Harv,

Ok, you'll have to use a little imagination here /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif....but here is a sketch of what I was thinking.

Kevin

Last edited:
   / Yet Another Box Blade Question #97  
Harv, consider using a hole saw to drill the holes. Goes a lot quicker then a drill bit. Using cast iron flat washers with 5/8 bolts should work out. You could spot weld the nuts on the box inside or outside to make R&R a little easier.
Great picture of you and mom.

take care,
george

/ Yet Another Box Blade Question #98  
I don't know why I didn't think of this before...

How 'bout some really strong magnets /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

15-43440-790signaturegif.gif

/ Yet Another Box Blade Question #99  
If you go this route they should be electric magnets then you could turn them off and on.
You could also insert a rayostat to control how strong it was which would allow break away it if realy hooked on to something.
Now that would be sweet.

Bx2200-(Altered,-Crop).jpg

Winnipeg, Manitoba
freebie-maple-leaf.gif

2001 BX2200 (20 hrs) All Kubota FEL,Tiller, box blade, blower w/elec shute, 60 mid mt deck, Ag tires.
Grey market B7000 w/Tiller (120 hrs)

/ Yet Another Box Blade Question #100  
Harv, sounds like the fixed blade would help, but probably the best you can hope for is that the box would fill in the little holes and "squeeze" down the near-surface rocks without pulliing them up. I know here when landscapers prepare soil for lawns they use this powered tool that's like a vibrating conveyor belt that sifts out all the rocks and lets the soil fall thruough. Then they do a final smooth with backblade or rakes, usually rakes.