Yet another grapple project

/ Yet another grapple project #1  

davesisk

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey-Ferguson MF 1220
OK, I finally got started on this for my old PT1418. The 6' stack of tree limbs and trunks in my back yard after our recent ice storm was the motivation.

Initially, I was thinking of making a really simple grapple attachment that was fixed to the lift arms. You then close the bucket against it. However, it occurred to me that the lift arms actually swing through quite a large angle (like around 90 degrees), so if the fixed grapple were positioned so that there was ample room to close the bucket against it when the lift arms were down, then it would be opened 90 degrees when the lift arms were raised, and vice versa.

I really didn't want to go to the trouble and expense of plumbing in another cylinder, valve, and hoses, so what I've done is designed this grapple attachment almost like an upside down bucket (ie. the same curl pivot point, and a mirror image of the lift pivot point). Essentially (if it works the way I intend after I'm done), when I uncurl the bucket the grapple will open, and when I curl the bucket, the grapple will close against it. I'll post some pics (and maybe even an MPEG) when it's done, which should be possibly today, perhaps tommorrow. Keep your fingers crossed that I haven't made some glaring error in it's geometry!

Dave

/ Yet another grapple project #3  
Sounds /w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif and frugal...
We're waiting /w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif...

/ Yet another grapple project
Patience, my PT friends, patience.../w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif. I finished fabricating the stuff tonight. I've drilled the holes in the attachment where it will hook to the lift arms, and I've got it clamped on the tractor now. I'll drill matching holes in the lift arms probably tommorrow afternoon (I've to crank it up and verify I've got the placement right before drilling, and the neighbors wouldn't appreciate it at 11pm at night...)

It's fairly "light-duty" compared to the PT grapple buckets, but it should suffice for my needs. Plus, since I have to hoist it up onto the lift arms and hold it to put the clevis pins in, I wanted to keep it reasonably light weight...probably should've used square tubing rather than the angle stock I used, but too late now!

I'll warn you ahead of time, it ain't the prettiest thing you'll ever see...but unless I've made some glaring engineering mistake it should work reasonably well.

I'll do my best to post pics and an "operational MPEG" tommorrow...

Dave

Just as a side note, I used an 85 amp 115V stick welder to do all the welding. I was previously using a so-called "gasless MIG" (actually, FCAW, a wire-feed welder that uses only flux-cored wire, a $150 "EasyMIG"), and it's welds are ugly as h*ll AND often don't penetrate well. Didn't appear to be a problem with this little inverter-based stick welder. I actually bought it along with a 90 amp TIG torch to try out it's scratch-start TIG capabilities (I've been looking for a good used DC/AC-squarewave TIG unit for several months, but folks don't seem to ever sell the good ones. I'm really looking for an ESAB Heliarc 161 AC/DC or an HTP Invertig200, if anyone happens to know of a used one for sale at a good price!) Anyway, it's TIG capabilities are just a tad less than satisfactory for what I want (limited duty cycle keeps it in cool down mode half the time), but I was quite surprised how powerful 85 amps is with a 6013 stick electrode. It's still an ugly weld, but not nearly as ugly as the FCAW wire-feed welder, and the penetration is really good even with that small amount of power. Plus, I could see what I was welding much better than with the MIG gun, AND there's no moving wire-feed parts to stick/break/slip/wear/need adjustment/etc. I think I really like stick. Since all TIG machines will also do stick, now I've just got to find that TIG welder at a good price. They're not cheap (like $1K+), but I have a feeling that I'll probably keep it the rest of my life. (I'm returning this little stick unit and the TIG torch, even though the total deal was < $300, it's wasted money if it doesn't do what I need...)

Just thought this might be worth sharing. Welding is one of my other hobbies, although not necessarily one that I'm all that skilled at!

Dave

Grapple pics

The open view

Attachments

• 54-220541-GrappleOpen.JPG
    54-220541-GrappleOpen.JPG
    141.6 KB · Views: 258
Re: Grapple pics

The closed view...

Attachments