Yet another home built blade

/ Yet another home built blade #1  

rbutterfield

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 2320
Here's yet another home built blade. I fabricated this last year because I didn't care to remove my FEL to use JD's 54" and never thought much of driving backwards for an extended period of time using a 3 point blade.
I know there is concern about attaching a blade to the FEL arms on a CUT but it seems to be working out, even better than expected.
I decided this year to install an additional valve to control the roll back angle as well.
Glad I had already hooked up my own version of JD's power beyond, in anticipation of completing my home built backhoe.
I have replaced the home made front shoes with a set for a Western plow however the ones on the rear remain, that way it forms it's own stand. My only possible regret thus far is making a 5FT blade instead of 6 or 7FT.
Oh well, the good news is it gives me a little more time in the seat.:)

attachment.php

Attachments

• F1.jpg
    F1.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 252
  • F2.jpg
    F2.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 252
  • F3.jpg
    F3.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 214
  • F4.jpg
    F4.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 240
  • F5.jpg
    F5.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 259
  • F6.jpg
    F6.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 280
  • F7.jpg
    F7.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 1,382
  • PB1.jpg
    PB1.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 198
  • PB2.jpg
    PB2.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 163
  • PB3.jpg
    PB3.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 134
  • QD1.jpg
    QD1.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 135
  • QD2.jpg
    QD2.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 140
  • V1.jpg
    V1.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 200
  • V2.jpg
    V2.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 151
   / Yet another home built blade #2  
what brand of plow did you use and how much hp does your tractor have?

/ Yet another home built blade #3  
excellent fabrication work, did you make the blade from scratch? how wide is it? oh I see you stated it's only 5 feet, it did look a little small to me compared to the tractor but I see no reason why you couldn't add to each side if you wanted.

/ Yet another home built blade #4  
Very nice. And great detail project photos. The blade does look a little small but like JB4310 said you can always add wings.
Can you go a little more into detail on what you have done. I know there are many others on here that would like to know some step by step procedures as many of us are adding blades and such to our tractors?

/ Yet another home built blade
Kramarj, no brand on the plow. Everything was made from scratch.
I did have a metal shop roll the steel to form the plow.
The tractor is a 2320 24HP.

Last edited:
excellent fabrication work, did you make the blade from scratch? how wide is it? oh I see you stated it's only 5 feet, it did look a little small to me compared to the tractor but I see no reason why you couldn't add to each side if you wanted.
JB4310, thanks for your comments and I have thought of adding to the sides.
Will let you know if I do.

Very nice. And great detail project photos. The blade does look a little small but like JB4310 said you can always add wings.
Can you go a little more into detail on what you have done. I know there are many others on here that would like to know some step by step procedures as many of us are adding blades and such to our tractors?

Thanks. I have thought of adding wings as you've suggested. Will post new photos if I do. I will see if I can't come up will some more details however I will say this, it was fairly simple. I had no plans, just a picture in my mind and knew I wanted it to come off and attach quickly, that's what steered me away from JD's. That and the $$

/ Yet another home built blade #8  
thanks, do you know about how much the metal shop got you to roll that and how thick is it?

thanks, do you know about how much the metal shop got you to roll that and how thick is it?

If I had to guess, I believe it was around $50 for the steel and to have it rolled. I just made a sketch of the basic curve I was looking for and they rolled it accordingly. I then brought it in to work and put the break along the top edge to strengthen it. It was either 10 or 11ga