Yikes! Well pump replaced.

/ Yikes! Well pump replaced.
No outfits like that in these parts unfortunately.
Alan how the set up so far?

It is all great - the well was drilled in 2000 and the first pump (25 gpm Goulds) went out in 2005. As much water as we use the rural water would be $250-$400 a month, so I guess the cost is worth it.

Here are some pics from the big day.

Attachments

• new well pump 052.jpg
    new well pump 052.jpg
    575.5 KB · Views: 88
  • new well pump 029.jpg
    new well pump 029.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 101
  • new well pump 015.jpg
    new well pump 015.jpg
    564.1 KB · Views: 102
  • new well pump 021.jpg
    new well pump 021.jpg
    517.2 KB · Views: 89
   / Yikes! Well pump replaced. #23  
You may have saved money if you bought the 10 gpm pump but it looks like you would have low water pressure and less 10 gpm because of the depth of the pump in the well. I found this chart on the web when I searched on "size submersible well pump" Performance Chart for GS Stainless Steel Series, 4", 3 Wire, 10GPM, 2HP, 230V, Submersible Pump The blue area is for a 2hp 10 gpm pump. At 500 feet you would get 9.9 gpm at 20 psi. That is a little low for me. If the pressure is increased to 40 psi the flow rate decreases. I think your well driller sold you a pump that would give you the amount of water you needed and the pressure you need to use the water because of the depth of your well.
Our water in the country is expensive to get and maintain. Hopefully you will not have to replace it again anytime soon.

It isn't the depth of the well that is used to size pump. The critical measurement is the static level (allowing for drawdown) of the water in the well. 500' well will normally have water standing far higher than that.

Harry K

/ Yikes! Well pump replaced. #24  
You've got something bad wrong to go through 3 pumps in 15 years. You need to look at your tank situation and make sure you've got enough storage and not cycling the pump excessively.

PS...I'm a licensed. pump installer in Tx.

You've got something bad wrong to go through 3 pumps in 15 years. You need to look at your tank situation and make sure you've got enough storage and not cycling the pump excessively.

PS...I'm a licensed. pump installer in Tx.

Actually I have only gone through 2 pumps in 15 years. Just installed the 3rd. My tank is 220 gallons, galvanized. I think it might be slightly small for the pump - it will only run a little over a minute with one water hose going. I do a pretty good job of keeping air in the tank, so i don't believe there has been any serious water logging. Driller said I could add a bladder tank but it costs alot. I might put on in on my own and would do that if I had not just spent the $5700. I wish I had done it years ago. The driller discourage the use of a cycle stop valve - says the back pressure is not good for the pump. I don't think it is the pump that is going bad - its the motor. But the driller said don't ever replace one without the other.

/ Yikes! Well pump replaced. #26  
A 220 gallon galv. tank has a natural drawdown of about 22 gallons at 30-50. A 119-gallon Well X Trol has about 37 gallon drawdown at 30-50 psi. I haven't bought one in awhile but they cost around $1,000-1,500. You should really look into increasing your storage capacity. I suspect that your tank is getting water logged more frequent than you know and thus the shortened life for your pump.

/ Yikes! Well pump replaced. #27  
If the pump is going bad I would check the voltage to the pump. Very high or very low is not good

A 220 gallon galv. tank has a natural drawdown of about 22 gallons at 30-50. A 119-gallon Well X Trol has about 37 gallon drawdown at 30-50 psi. I haven't bought one in awhile but they cost around $1,000-1,500. You should really look into increasing your storage capacity. I suspect that your tank is getting water logged more frequent than you know and thus the shortened life for your pump.

Shoulda done that when I had $1000-$1500. I don't understand at all why the tanks are so expensive. What about those County Line tanks at Tractor Supply? They have a "actual capacity" 85 gallon for $399. What happens when these fail? Leak? Explode? Loose pressure? Figured to piggy back a a bladder tank to the current tank....seems there is only one pipe that goes in?

My tank is a 220 gallon steel tank - no bladder. The reason for it is to release stinky gases into the air, or so the driller said. Around here he puts in almost exclusively galvanized steel tanks. Downside is you have to charge it every few months to prevent the short cycling you describe. I have recharged mine many times and don't recall ever having it short cycle. However the tank is probably not big enough and should probably add another tank.