YM1100D Replacement Seat

/ YM1100D Replacement Seat #1  

akrovers

Tractor
Yanmar YM 1100d
Hello all,

I'm trying to make my YM-1100d a little more comfortable. It has a hard plastic seat that appears to be original. The seat is as far back as it goes and still too close to the steering wheel for a guy my size. Does anyone have any aftermarket examples that they have made work? I can change the seat mounting hardware if needed, just looking for inspiration from somebody who has done it before.

Matt

/ YM1100D Replacement Seat #2  
Matt, Not sure where in the world you are located. We get folks from all over the globe here. Thus, your region would help in knowing what is available to you locally or mail order.

BTW,
:welcome:

Here in the USA, we have several farm stores like TSC, Farm & Fleet, ASC, Rural King and co-op feed stores. Prices on seats in the past 7 years went from being affordable to being very expensive. Plus, the quality of the products have decreased.

One other thing to look for in a quality seat is the material thickness and having a UV resistance value.

Thinking outside the box, there are seats out there being non-tractor, more durable and often additional features for about the same or less in price. These seats are in the Marine grade outdoor sports shops. On a few older Fords and the John Deere siblings of our YM-series, I've seen these being used and inquired from the folks.

Wise boat seats have the most robust and durable for less money. Attwood is the middle range of Marine boat seats. A majority of the boat seats are folding, thus offering even more flexibility on a tractor.

Before going out and just buying something, take measurements. My replacement seat is a tad further back and a tad wider. All worked well until I brought the 3PT lift arms up and got a jiggle in the seat. It's a small 1/4-inch [7mm] bump at best. So, be wise on your hunt. :thumbsup:

The marine seats come in various colors and patterns. This small tractor with the Marine seat is actually good.

maxresdefault.jpg

Red on a Deere?
JohnDeereWithPlow.jpg

BTW, should you be a tall 6ft or more person, the marine seats with height adjust may be a great option to look into as well.

/ YM1100D Replacement Seat #3  
I put a suspension base under an aftermarket seat. Took a little doing but works great.

download.jpg
IMG_20180606_181322.jpg

Best pictures I have the at the moment.

/ YM1100D Replacement Seat
Thanks for your input guys, I like the aftermarket seat base that gets you up a little higher.

I appreciate your input.

Matt

/ YM1100D Replacement Seat #5  
   / YM1100D Replacement Seat #7  
   / YM1100D Replacement Seat #8  
Under $200 I think is was the $160 one not to bad ..

In local TSC and other brick-n-mortar stores, $60 to $80 are the pricey seats. I would highly doubt a seat over $120 would be considered acceptable.

Last edited:
   / YM1100D Replacement Seat #9  
I bought this one at TSC when it was on sale under $100, for the YM186D. But it's not a very good fit, it needed extensive re-work. I took out the suspension spring to get the height down to what I need - in my orchard I'm continually ducking low branches. The area on the YM186D where it mounts is already too high to tolerate the several inches of lift this seat provides.

Then I welded on a threaded bolt to the front of the new seat base, to go through a hole I drilled in the tractor's existing front mount point. This is needed to get the seat far enough back so I could mount/dismount. The back of the new seat's foundation is several inches beyond the last part of the tractor that can support it. This works but its not ideal, it stresses that front modification I added.

The result? I'm on/off the tractor continually when delivering water to new trees, because usually the little levee around the tree has to be repaired at each visit. (gophers). The original seat was low and so far behind the footboards that the first step to dismount was pull hard on the steering wheel, in order to stand upright. Tiring after the 20th tree! The new higher, more upright seating position is an improvement but it still feels crowded.

I don't think this suspension seat is the answer for everyone.

/ YM1100D Replacement Seat #10  
I bought this one at TSC ..

I don't think this suspension seat is the answer for everyone.

Now that is a tall seat for sure. You are correct, with our CUT Yanmars, those are huge.

Best to measure the existing seat. Measure the space between the two fenders and 3PT lift control for space and then go hunting. :thumbsup: