YM1610D Brakes

/ YM1610D Brakes #1  

remurden

Tractor
Yanmar 1610D
I have a brake problem on my 1610d. I have no brakes. Both pedals go all the way to the floor. there is no pressure on the pedals. It looks like the linkage is adjusted all the way. What is my next step in determining why i have no brakes and can they be fixed and how? Any help would be appreciated. A visual of the brakes would be nice. I printed a few attachments from the site that referenced brakes and read through some posts to get some kind of idea of what it may be.
Thanks,
Richard

/ YM1610D Brakes #3  
Take the brake cover off. If you have never had brakes there may not be any shoes. I've come across this before when importing tractors from Japan.

/ YM1610D Brakes
Thanks for the information. I looked at the right side turned the adjustment all the way in and out with no result in pedal pressure. I looked at the left side and started to adjust the linkage. I felt the pedal tighten and had brakes on the left side. Took it for a spin and it felt good drove down into a ditch and had plenty of stopping power. I will look at the right side tomorrow and report back.
Thanks,
Richard

/ YM1610D Brakes #5  
remurden said:
Thanks for the information. I looked at the right side turned the adjustment all the way in and out with no result in pedal pressure. I looked at the left side and started to adjust the linkage. I felt the pedal tighten and had brakes on the left side. Took it for a spin and it felt good drove down into a ditch and had plenty of stopping power. I will look at the right side tomorrow and report back.
Thanks,
Richard

If the operating cam lever does not move when you adjust the turnbuckle, then, it is binding to the brake housing. Disconnect cotter pin from operating cam lever, pull out steel pin from turnbuckle assembly, drop off turnbuckle assembly. If cam lever is stuck, that is your problem. Try spraying with PB Blaster or similar penetrating solution where lever enters brake housing. Give it time to soak-in. Wiggle lever back and forth. If still stuck, you will have to disassemble brake housing with shoes, and clean up. If, on the other hand, the operating cam lever does move, then your brakes are worn on the right side, and you can rotate the anchor pin 90 degrees in order to extend brake shoe life. It is an easy job. Good luck.

/ YM1610D Brakes
I removed the cover and fluid leaked out. The shoes are very dirty, including the drum. I will have to clean them up to get a better look at them. There is a lot of sludge in the bottom of the brake housing. I also noticed a drain plug. Do i have "wet" brakes? How do i go about maintaining these, if the are wet brakes? Do i have a seal leaking? I also noticed the brake cover gasket is totally shot. Please advise. I will try to take some pictures tomorrow night and upload them.
Thanks,
Richard

/ YM1610D Brakes #7  
Remurden,

Yes...the seal is leaking and no, you do not have wet brakes.

I would certainly order and replace the seal and the shoes as well. The shoes, even if they have enough friction material, are well soaked with hydraulic fluid and most probably will never clean up. The shoes are a bit pricey but consider that the ones on your tractor are original and a new set will go for another 25 years.

/ YM1610D Brakes #8  
The brake shoes aren't cheap, but nowhere near what OEM shoes were. As I recall they were over $50 per shoe when we last were able to order from YA several years ago. Now we have shoes under $35 and we do even better on a 4 shoe order.

/ YM1610D Brakes #9  
remurden said:
I removed the cover and fluid leaked out. The shoes are very dirty, including the drum. I will have to clean them up to get a better look at them. There is a lot of sludge in the bottom of the brake housing. I also noticed a drain plug. Do i have "wet" brakes? How do i go about maintaining these, if the are wet brakes? Do i have a seal leaking? I also noticed the brake cover gasket is totally shot. Please advise. I will try to take some pictures tomorrow night and upload them.
Thanks,
Richard

Are you talking about water in the shoe area or hyd. fluid in that area. I have seen alot of water that had gotten traped in that area (from years of use), but will run out when the cover is removed

/ YM1610D Brakes #10  
LMTC said:
The brake shoes aren't cheap, but nowhere near what OEM shoes were. As I recall they were over $50 per shoe when we last were able to order from YA several years ago. Now we have shoes under $35 and we do even better on a 4 shoe order.

Wow, that is a terrific deal...wished they were that inexpensive when it seemed like I was ordering sets every couple of weeks :). Are they new or rebuilt? Actually I wouldn't care as it use to be either new or used!

Mark