Dirt Moving YM1700 front rim problem

/ YM1700 front rim problem #1  

SailorBob

Gold Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM1700
A few months ago I replaced the tube and now tire will not hold air any more. It looks like there is rust around the valve stem hole. I suspect that the stem hole has cut the valve stem. Has anyone ever had this problem? I was thinking about putting some kind of grommet in the hole to protect the valve stem. I don't really have $100 for a new rim right now. Thoughts anyone? The rim is 12 inch. I am not sure if that was the factory size. I have 24" on the rear and have found out that 22" was factory standard. I'm glad to have the 24 since they are a lot easier to come by.

/ YM1700 front rim problem #2  
Best thing to do is take it off and find out where the hole is in the tube, If it's where you think it is , you should be able to make something work. My stem on the tube (the part that sticks though the hole) is very fat and fills the entire hole in in my rim

/ YM1700 front rim problem #3  
rusty rims are common.

when you broke it down before.. you should have removed the rust.. and if the stem hole is damaged, then weld it up and drill a new one. or at least weld a washer inside it.

then paint the rim insides a couple good coats with a epoxy paint or similar tough high gloss sealed paint.. then repair or replace the tube and you should be good to go till the tire caseing dies.. or you run over a nail / thorn.. etc

/ YM1700 front rim problem #4  
24" tire/wheel is standard rear for your tractor.
A few months ago I replaced the tube and now tire will not hold air any more. It looks like there is rust around the valve stem hole. I suspect that the stem hole has cut the valve stem. Has anyone ever had this problem? I was thinking about putting some kind of grommet in the hole to protect the valve stem. I don't really have $100 for a new rim right now. Thoughts anyone? The rim is 12 inch. I am not sure if that was the factory size. I have 24" on the rear and have found out that 22" was factory standard. I'm glad to have the 24 since they are a lot easier to come by.

/ YM1700 front rim problem
Norm, thanks for the info. I took the wheel off the tractor. I don't see a problem within the stem. Now I am suspecting the tube may have just split. I cant get the tire off the rim. I guess that I'll just have to take it to a tire shop. By the way I had a tire shop put the new tube in it, Probably a cheap Chinese tube! I'll take it to them and have them dismount the tire and then bring it home and clean up the rim before I put in another tube.

I wonder what it would cost to have tire filled with foam?

/ YM1700 front rim problem #6  
By the way I had a tire shop put the new tube in it, Probably a cheap Chinese tube!

I wonder what it would cost to have tire filled with foam?

It shouldn't be too hard to break it from the wheel. When I let the air out of mine and stand on the edges it will break the bead. Probably is a china tube, but that's all I could find. It's a little big ,but the best tube I could find was at advance auto parts. I found it to be a little thicker than the china tractor tube, probably because it had a DOT stamp on it made for vehicles driving on the road.. Foam would be great. Don't know the cost though

/ YM1700 front rim problem #7  
drive over it with a car tire.. or use a c clamp to debead it.. 2x4 and a sledge. etc.

tons of ways debead a tire...