YM2000B Cooling system

/ YM2000B Cooling system #1  

BruceR

Gold Member
Tractor
YM 2000B, JD 110, cub cadet 109, cub cadet 70, cub cadet 100
Howdy,

Finally got my 2000B home and have been changing filters and checking it over. I can not find a petcock on the radiator to drain the system. The parts book shows one on the lower rear right hand corner of the radiator, but I'll be darned if I can find it. My system varies a little from the one shown in the parts book, in that the book shows a hose "water pipe" running from the lower right rear of the radiator to the block. On mine, the water pipe runs to fixture with a large nut on the bottom that's located on a plate that obscures the oil filter and then to the block. What the heck is this ? Do I remove the nut/plug on the bottom of this to drain ? is this something to do with the thermostat ? I should say that I don't have my own parts book yet; I have been using Hoye's ( Thank You ) online parts book.

Oh by the way, If any of you know the engineer who decided to put a plate over the oil filter, please give him a good solid rap on the head with your knuckles for me.

Thanks, Bruce

/ YM2000B Cooling system #2  
"Do I remove the nut/plug on the bottom of this to drain ?"

Yes.

/ YM2000B Cooling system #3  
Bruce,

The fitting with the nut/plug should drain both the radiator and engine block at the same time.

When I first tried to drain my fluids I found the fitting plugged with sediment. A small piece of wire cleaned up the hole and allowed all to drain.

Dick

/ YM2000B Cooling system
Thanks Guys,

I drained and flushed last night. The radiator had been filed with what looked like brand new 100% anti-freeze. I really hated to lose it all. I had stuck my fingers down inside the radiator and could feel some crud and was figuring I would have to have it boiled out, but it didn't look too bad. I put some Preston Super Cleaner in it and am going to run it for a while ( instructions say3-6 hrs. ) before adding new coolant. My operators manual came yesterday from Hoye and it says use a 60/40 mix instead of 70/30.

Thanks again,
Bruce