YM2310 clutch dragging

/ YM2310 clutch dragging #1  

etpm

Veteran Member
Tractor
yanmar ym2310
Greetings All,
I just bought YM2310 tractor and the clutch drags. The clutch was stuck when I bought it but I was able to get it to slip when the tractor is in high gear. Now the clutch only works when I am using the tractor in third or fourth. I have adjusted the clutch according to the manual. I can tell that the clutch is not releasing completely. When I let the clutch out in third or fourth gear it grabs right away, I cannot feather the clutch. Should I just drive this tractor around with the clutch pedal depressed and let the clutch slip? Maybe that would wear away any rust. Or maybe the clutch disc itself is swollen and must be replaced. Any advice greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Eric

/ YM2310 clutch dragging #2  
Only an opinion. I think you will end up splitting it to correct the problem. I would split, then order parts needed. Not understanding why clutch works in 3rd and 4th and not in 1st and 2nd.

/ YM2310 clutch dragging #3  
Yeah, drive it around and work it hard depressing the clutch pedal OFTEN and on and off the throttle OFTEN.... you have nothing to lose by trying....

No the disc isn't "swollen" but the hub is likely rusted on the input shaft....

/ YM2310 clutch dragging
Only an opinion. I think you will end up splitting it to correct the problem. I would split, then order parts needed. Not understanding why clutch works in 3rd and 4th and not in 1st and 2nd.
I think because the higher gears require more torque the clutch slips.

/ YM2310 clutch dragging
Yeah, drive it around and work it hard depressing the clutch pedal OFTEN and on and off the throttle OFTEN.... you have nothing to lose by trying....

No the disc isn't "swollen" but the hub is likely rusted on the input shaft....
That makes a lot of sense, the clutch disc being rusted on the input shaft. Too bad I can't squirt a little lube on the input shaft.

/ YM2310 clutch dragging #6  
You can, all you have to do is split the tractor in half lol

Actually w a bore scope and a length of brake line you could probably do it through the starter hole but don't want to get it on the clutch...

/ YM2310 clutch dragging #7  
A bore scope is probably worth the investment. Look on ebay or amazon for a usb one that will connect to a computer or phone. Get one that has built in lights.
It may allow you to assess what is actually happening. You may still have to split the tractor for repairs, but it may allow you go into the job knowing what needs to be replaced and having parts on hand, prior to separating.

/ YM2310 clutch dragging #8  
There should be an inspection hole on the bottom or side of the transmission, it has a black rubber plug on it, it might be painted green to match the rest.
Its on the brake side of the machine.

/ YM2310 clutch dragging
Oh man, that's great. Now I can use Coy's suggestion to use an endoscope to look inside. Maybe I can see inside well enough with the naked eye to squirt a little oil on the input shaft.

/ YM2310 clutch dragging #10  
Damn... chopped liver.... lol