You Know You Are Old When

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,682  
I thought it was her ex James Taylor she wrote this for.
I recently read where she has been quoted as saying the second verse was about Beaty.
I'd heard both WB and Mick Jagger. Who really knows?
She and Taylor were relative newlyweds when she did that song, they didn't divorce until the early 80s.

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,683  
I'd say she's brilliant, for keeping people talking about such a mediocre song for what... 35 years?

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,684  
She and Taylor were relative newlyweds when she did that song, they didn't divorce until the early 80s.
I had thought it was Taylor, but in her memoirs "boys in trees" she said that one was about Beaty.

..., You’re So Vain is about one-time Hollywood lothario Warren Beatty. But only the second verse (“You had me several years ago when I was still quite naïve/Well you said that we made such a pretty pair/And that you would never leave

She wouldn't identify the others because in her words...

I haven’t told either of them that it’s about them, so it would be too much of a shock, too much of a cold, calculated thing to put it in the book without them knowing,” says Simon

Mind, everything I've quoted is from an interview on USA today, not from her book.

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,686  
All of that... she wrote it in 1972.
It's funny, as I had remembered it from the mid-70's myself, and initially wrote "50 years". Then before clicking that "Post reply" button, I thought I'd better double-check the release date, and F'ing Bing returned 1989! :D

I guess she must've re-released it in 1989.

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,687  
Pretty popular on another forum I visit, here is one I put up there.

View attachment 871700

I can still hear dad saying that. He meant it too.
I think I turned out pretty well for it.

Some kids today are a bunch of wimps.
That's why they're so screwed up, and parents are to blame, a total lack of respect and responsibility.

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,688  
I had thought it was Taylor, but in her memoirs "boys in trees" she said that one was about Beaty.
That's what I had heard way back when the song was released. Warren was a bit of a egomaniac.

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,689  
Some kids today are a bunch of wimps.
That's why they're so screwed up, and parents are to blame, a total lack of respect and responsibility.
You know, our grandparents said that about us. Just ask Archie and Edith. :D

I've mentioned it before, but my favorite podcast of all time was Dan Carlin's Hardcore History. It's waned a bit, but one of the better episodes from a few years back was called, "Old School Toughness". The basic premise is him thinking and talking through the scenario of how any generation might hold up in a war against their grandparents, with the initial thought being that the younger generation would probably have their asses handed to them. Of course, he works through the problem in bloody detail, the way only Dan Carlin can, with great historical reference to the Greatest Generation, etc.

He usually keeps the last several episodes available for free, so you can probably still grab it off your favorite podcast repository. If not still available, I think he sells back-episodes (usually 3 - 6 hours long) for all of $2 - $3 each, and it's usually well worth the price of admission.

PS -- Doh... looks like this particular 14-year old episode has aged out of the free section, but it's only $3: Hardcore History 33 – (BLITZ) Old School Toughness – Dan Carlin

PPS -- My favorite episode of the last few years is still free, and I guess still related to BravoXray's "kids today" thought, as it gets into the way the senior military staff were trying to push JFK around on using nukes in Cuba. They thought of him as the unqualified kid / playboy: Hardcore History 59 The Destroyer of Worlds – Dan Carlin

Last edited:
   / You Know You Are Old When #2,690  
Tell my wife I'm going in for a haircut today, may turn the beard into a goatee.

Go in, girl asks "same #4 on the beard and #2 on the sides, tapered at the top?"

I tell her #2 on the sides, tapered at the top, but I want to with a #4 on the face but turn the beard into a goatee.

Girl looks surprised and asks "really?". Tell her yes.

She then asks me "have you told anyone I was doing this?".

I tell her I told my wife but threatened her I'd have it all taken off the face because she hates me clean shaven LOL

Girl then says "I'm sorry, I just get really excited when someone totally changes their hair style!"

I told her that in my case, the only hair style changes I can make make are on my face because I have almost nothing on the head to work with.

Swear to God, hair grows quicker on my face, ears and eyebrows than it does on my head.