You Know You Are Old When

/ You Know You Are Old When
   / You Know You Are Old When #532  
O
My grandmother was 14 when she immigrated, but she always had an accent and especially trouble pronouncing her "r"s. She also didn't have much good to say about people who came over but couldn't be bothered to learn the language... something I've since noticed about other people from that country.

She was 71 when she passed away in 1974, but it was only about 20 years ago that we found out that a family friend had helped her get onto a boat to come live with her aunt, to escape an arranged marriage.
In 33 years never needed translation for German, French, Swedish, etc…

Spanish translation required daily with a variety of other languages several times each week for patient check in…

As a medical facility we are required to provide translation services… it was not always this way.

/ You Know You Are Old When #533  
Ironside
Rockford Files
McMillian & Wife
Streets of San Francisco
Kojak
Cannon
McCloud

Early 70's we lived with my grandmother in a "coal town" in Pa when my father was overseas in SE Asia. I mention that because my grandmother let me use to watch TV with her at night for a couple of hours to my moms dismay LOL

Only grandparent I ever knew, as both of her husbands died in the coal mines and my dad's parents died in the early 50's.

Grandmother came over from Russia in the early 1900's. Generally spoke a Slavonic variant in the home and Church, and English outside the home.

First husband she had 5 children with, then her second husband had 6 children himself with 6 kids, instant family of 11,then they had my uncle John a year later. She was one of the most religious woman I knew, could garden like no one else and knew how to cook.

Different times back then for women though. My mom enlisted in 1952 and then worked in DC. She eloped with my dad in 1962 and piseed the family off because she didn't get married in the church (to make things right, they did marry in the Russian church some time later for my grandmother, only way she would let us live with her LOL). My one aunt went to Boston to work, married outside the chuch as well years later and Baba (Grandmother) took some time for her to get over that one as well. Always heard my aunt Mary had a modeling job locally and she was offered a job in NYC for modeling, but my grandmother wouldn't allow it.

In my grandmothers eyes, a womans only place in the world was in the home taking care of it and the kids (LOTS of them LOL), and the man worked to bring money in for the family.

However, will say wonderful time living with her. Her home was always the place for the family for Easter and Crhistmas, and always was that way until her death around 1977. If you see the table of food, it was ALWAYS like that for every holiday at her home. All my aunts could cook just like my grandmother

FAMILY.png

My aunt bought the house from New Hampshire (the one who moved to Boston), and finally moved back to Pa, and we still had holdiays at the same "family" home.

What was funny was married for the first time, went "home" in 2003 with my newlywed wife. My wife happens to be a great cook as well. She offered to help my cousin (daughter of my aunt who moved to Boston) for Christmas. Basically these two girls (wife and cousin) were the cooks to make the traditional family meal.

After our first Christmas in Pennsylvania, my wife asks me "how come we (her and my cousin) did all the cooking, serving and then had to clean everything up including washing the dishes, and all the guys (including me) did was sit around and BS and do nothing?

My wife talked with my cousin later that year, and Christmas 2003 was the last year the men in my moms family did absolute nothing during the holiday season for the meals :ROFLMAO:

My gradmother may have been rolling in her grave, but I'm certain my mom would have a big smile on her face LOL

Last edited:
   / You Know You Are Old When #535  
Ironside
Rockford Files
McMillian & Wife
Streets of San Francisco
Kojak
Cannon
McCloud

Early 70's we lived with my grandmother in a "coal town" in Pa when my father was overseas in SE Asia. I mention that because my grandmother let me use to watch TV with her at night for a couple of hours to my moms dismay LOL

Only grandparent I ever knew, as both of her husbands died in the coal mines and my dad's parents died in the early 50's.

Grandmother came over from Russia in the early 1900's. Generally spoke a Slavonic variant in the home and Church, and English outside the home.

First husband she had 5 children with, then her second husband had 6 children himself with 6 kids, instant family of 11,then they had my uncle John a year later. She was one of the most religious woman I knew, could garden like no one else and knew how to cook.

Different times back then for women though. My mom enlisted in 1952 and then worked in DC. She eloped with my dad in 1962 and piseed the family off because she didn't get married in the church (to make things right, they did marry in the Russian church some time later for my grandmother, only way she would let us live with her LOL). My one aunt went to Boston to work, married outside the chuch as well years later and Baba (Grandmother) took some time for her to get over that one as well. Always heard my aunt Mary had a modeling job locally and she was offered a job in NYC for modeling, but my grandmother wouldn't allow it.

In my grandmothers eyes, a womans only place in the world was in the home taking care of it and the kids (LOTS of them LOL), and the man worked to bring money in for the family.

However, will say wonderful time living with her. Her home was always the place for the family for Easter and Crhistmas, and always was that way until her death around 1977. If you see the table of food, it was ALWAYS like that for every holiday at her home. All my aunts could cook just like my grandmother

View attachment 851269

My aunt bought the house from New Hampshire (the one who moved to Boston), and finally moved back to Pa, and we still had holdiays at the same "family" home.

What was funny was married for the first time, went "home" in 2003 with my newlywed wife. My wife happens to be a great cook as well. She offered to help my cousin (daughter of my aunt who moved to Boston) for Christmas. Basically these two girls (wife and cousin) were the cooks to make the traditional family meal.

After our first Christmas in Pennsylvania, my wife asks me "how come we (her and my cousin) did all the cooking, serving and then had to clean everything up including washing the dishes, and all the guys (including me) did was sit around and BS and do nothing?

My wife talked with my cousin later that year, and Christmas 2003 was the last year the men in my moms family did absolute nothing during the holiday season for the meals :ROFLMAO:

My gradmother may have been rolling in her grave, but I'm certain my mom would have a big smile on her face LOL
Not as many kids, otherwise same story. How the tables never buckled...?

/ You Know You Are Old When #536  
Hammer cocked and finger on trigger and a smile on your face. Who could forget the good old days? 👍

Always loved how Quincy would go out and solve all those crimes as the medical examiner as well.

Have to love when a guy puts a suppressor on a revolver;)

Columbo was a good "who done it" show from what I remember.

Who could forget Baretta and Fred? LOL

We complain about mindless TV now a days, but I think it's always been mindless TV, we just never knew it when we were younger LOL

/ You Know You Are Old When #538  
How about Highway Patrol starring Broderick Crawford.

Later in the 70s, was Movin' On with Claude Akins and Frank Converse.

/ You Know You Are Old When
How about Highway Patrol starring Broderick Crawford.

Later in the 70s, was Movin' On with Claude Akins and Frank Converse.

Claude Akins. There is a name from the past.

He must have been in 1000 old westerns on TV. Just saw him in a rerun of The Tales Of Wells Fargo. Always seemed to be the bad guy.