You Know You Are Old When

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,061  
I liked the early 1600cc engines but not so much later the 2000cc, 2300cc and 2800cc V6…

I much preferred my 1970 slant 6 valiant…

My first car was a 76 Plymouth Volare. Guaranteed to begin rusting out on the showroom floor.

The slant 6 engine ran weird when cold. It worked OK if I barely gave it any gas or if I floored it. Anywhere in between, and it would bog down and wouldn't accelerate.

It collected water somewhere under the hood, and it would periodically pee on my feet during a left turn. I had to keep fresh duct tape above the taillights, or else they would fill up with water, and the bulbs would pop.

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,064  
My first car was a 76 Plymouth Volare. Guaranteed to begin rusting out on the showroom floor.

The slant 6 engine ran weird when cold. It worked OK if I barely gave it any gas or if I floored it. Anywhere in between, and it would bog down and wouldn't accelerate.

It collected water somewhere under the hood, and it would periodically pee on my feet during a left turn. I had to keep fresh duct tape above the taillights, or else they would fill up with water, and the bulbs would pop.
I think 1970-71 was a sweet spot before choked by emissions…

Still own that $800 car I bought in school… no rust out yet.

Here is a early picture of the 3 of us at work… Valiant, Dump Trailer and Me at my first home purchased age 22

I still own that home today and only on my second renter…

1709506490836.jpeg

Last edited:
   / You Know You Are Old When #1,065  
I can still remember seeing Chevy Vegas less than a year old with holes in the side from rust, this was in Burlington, VT. about 1972-73.

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,066  

Those smog control years were tough. My Dad bought a new '72 Valiant 225 slant six that was fantastic...then a new '76 Valiant six, nothing but trouble. They lowered compression and all these vacuum lines and gadgets supposed to lower pollution. A good friend had a '76 Volare six (with the "rich Corinthian leather" ) and lots of problems also.
That slant six was fantastic, but they should have had a big access door in inner fender to get to distributor. All the big four sixes would run forever.

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,067  
I can still remember seeing Chevy Vegas less than a year old with holes in the side from rust, this was in Burlington, VT. about 1972-73.
My father bought a 1973 Torino in 1975. Everyone marveled at what great shape the body was in. It had been an insurance company's business vehicle and he got a good deal because it was a high mileage car... 80,000 miles.

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,068  
I've always liked Rambler American and I have the first ('58) and last ('69) & ones in between. What's strange is the '58 has a 195.6 cu.in. flathead as well as the '64, but the '64 has a dual master cylinder (Rambler was the first) and oil filter drains down. Old cars were so easy to work on.
20240303_180342.jpg
20240303_180315.jpg

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,069  
Still have my 59 Rambler American... white with a blue interior/ radio/heater auto.

Also have a Continental kit I never installed... had to buy s 58 car to get it...

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,070  
Didn't have a crank start, but the incline came in handy when I couldn't afford a new battery. (That was pre-everything is an automatic) for you younger folks.
My first car was a 1962 Volvo 544. It needed a new battery and I would push start it myself, on a level driveway and it would be good for the day. After about three weeks of that I scrounged up the cash for a new battery while making payments on a house for the first time.