You Know You Are Old When

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,071  
A high school friend had a bug and I don't think he ever spent the $30 or so dollars for a new 6v battery... it was always rolling starts.

I told him once I could ask at the salvage if they had a 6v and he said no... 12 with a core got you a tested 30 day warranty replacement.

Young kids today miss out on many simple satisfying moments. like bump starting a car... being able to build a fire in the fireplace... changing a sparkplug in the mower or defrosting the refrigerator...

Taught my niece at 13 to drive the 5 speed F150 around the farm...

She has said not even the boys in college know how to drive a stick...

Last edited:
   / You Know You Are Old When #1,072  
She has said not even the boys in college know how to drive a stick
And that matters how? This type of discussion is like when my grandfather lamented that nobody knew how to treat a lame horse anymore.

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,073  
And that matters how? This type of discussion is like when my grandfather lamented that nobody knew how to treat a lame horse anymore.
Guess less Boy Scouts today?

Be Prepared use to be a thing...

Now most leave being prepared to anyone except themselves.

Knowing how to drive a stick has saved me a bundle renting cars overseas...

I still think knowing how to build a fire let alone start a fire safely is a valuable skill...

It could be one never needed until it is...

Might as well add learning how to light a pilot light to the list.

A lady that rents up the street had no heat and was very cold as the temps dipped to freezing as this is cold here...

She dutifully called the utility company that told her to be safe open windows and they would be out in 72 hours to assess.

Another neighbor told me the renters plight and how horrible for the utility to make her wait 72 hours and HVAC wanted $250 for a weekend service call.

We had a wind event and the pilot went out at the same time.

I got on the floor and said yes... no pilot in the furnace but hot water heater pilot ok.

Turned and held down the knob and pressed the red button twice and saw nice flame... kept holding the button down another 45 seconds and good to go... it's been 6 weeks.

She asked how did I ever learn and I said Mom taught me at the cabin after everything had been shutdown for the season only there we needed a match as no red button ignitor... mom grew up on a farm, oldest girl with 9 siblings

Last edited:
   / You Know You Are Old When #1,075  
I think 1970-71 was a sweet spot before choked by emissions…

Still own that $800 car I bought in school… no rust out yet.

Here is a early picture of the 3 of us at work… Valiant, Dump Trailer and Me at my first home purchased age 22

I still own that home today and only on my second renter…

View attachment 855527
That's very cool.

For the car, I agree that yours was probably a better model. It also wasn't exposed to the salt from the Ohio winters.

I find it impressive that you were that mature at 22. I was just getting started on this whole "responsible behavior" thing at that age.

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,076  
Friends would kid me saying I'm much older than I appear... but then I was always around much older people and started working my first W2 at 13 and paid rent every payday to the folks.

Spent a lot of time with my Grandmother and she was very strict but as long as you followed the rules no problems...

I wanted to own my own home and kept lowering my sights and bought the least expensive MLS single family home for a third of asking as it was facing a condemnation hearing...

The 1910 shack on a 25x100 lot in a sketchy neighborhood became my start...

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,077  
Friends would kid me saying I'm much older than I appear... ...
So last night we were out with about 35 friends celebrating one of their retirements. Age discussion came around and one guy that is 57 and looks rode hard and put away wet and has known me for about 30 years asks how old I am. I straight face lie and reply 73. His head snaps back and he says "HOW OLD?" I say 73 and I was born in 51. He looks at another of our friends in shock and says "He's got no wrinkles!" Everyone looks at me and I fess up and tell him I'm only 63. He looks at the friend again and says "He's still go no wrinkles!"

:ROFLMAO:

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,078  
35 years ago I was considerably younger than the majority of surgery patients... now I'm older than some and about equal to many...

It's a daily reminder health is wealth.

I sometimes have a few minutes and not surprising the number that have said smoking and drinking took a toll and a few admit to drugs when they were younger... and even contact sports!

• Good Post
Reactions: JJT
   / You Know You Are Old When #1,079  
Sports can be brutal on your body. I have a friend that played a lot of soccer. Saw him about 10 years ago at age 53. His body was broken.

/ You Know You Are Old When
#1,080  
Most guys wouldn't be caught dead driving a Met...but girls think it's so cute and want to ride in it...even with an ugly old bald grandpa driving it!
16 second clip driving down a back road today.

Oh, I thought we were you going to see some girls!

The car was good.