Your advice ?

/ Your advice ? #1  

Barryh

Veteran Member
Harpers Ferry WV - Mountains of Shannondale
Tractor
Former owner of a P T -180 / Kubota BX-1500 .. A Craftsman Yard Tractor / John Deere 140 H-1 / Cub Cadet 108. And now ( Little Red ) a Power Trac 1425
Would like some feed back from you guys. I am setting up a Lawn care / Landscaping business. I'm looking at trailers right now. So for you guys that haul your PT with a trailer.

I am looking at several brand new 16 foot dual wheel trailers, with electric brakes, stake side utility trailers that have a rating of 7,000 pounds. I can build up the sides for leaves, branches load my PT on, with room for other equipment.

This also gives me the option of hauling a car, or large tractor, just in case down the road, I wanted to buy something along the lines of a Bob Cat, or for just hauling rocks or heavy objects ect.

My question, how much trouble would it be, or how hard are these trailers to maneuver all day long around town in and out of traffic in the 16 ft configuration. I would be hauling it with my F-150 6.5 short bed. Would a 14 ft make that much difference??

The other question is, how durable do you think the Tree Stump Cutter, and Auger would be for commercial use on my little 180. I know the newer version cutter has replaceable blades. I would guess the 180 version is just as sturdy / as the unit for the larger machines, or am I wrong on this? Thanks for your help.

/ Your advice ? #2  
Barryh said:
Would like some feed back from you guys. I am setting up a Lawn care / Landscaping business. I'm looking at trailers right now. So for you guys that haul your PT with a trailer.

I am looking at several brand new 16 foot dual wheel trailers, with electric brakes, stake side utility trailers that have a rating of 7,000 pounds. I can build up the sides for leaves, branches load my PT on, with room for other equipment.

This also gives me the option of hauling a car, or large tractor, just in case down the road, I wanted to buy something along the lines of a Bob Cat, or for just hauling rocks or heavy objects ect.

My question, how much trouble would it be, or how hard are these trailers to maneuver all day long around town in and out of traffic in the 16 ft configuration. I would be hauling it with my F-150 6.5 short bed. Would a 14 ft make that much difference??

The other question is, how durable do you think the Tree Stump Cutter, and Auger would be for commercial use on my little 180. I know the newer version cutter has replaceable blades. I would guess the 180 version is just as sturdy / as the unit for the larger machines, or am I wrong on this? Thanks for your help.

Barry

I have an 18 foot trailer and, while it is a chore to manuever in town, it is somthing that you will get use to doing. It would certainly do what you have in mind but I have one comment. If you really think you may some time get a Bobcat, you may want to up the axels to 10K. A Bobcat plus the trailer weight could easily exceed the 7k you are thinking about. I haul a 5k car and with the trailer weight I have a total of 6.5k which would leave little capacity for fuel or any luggage in the towed car. I bought the 10k capacity and am glad that I did. Upgrading the axels to 5k each should be minimal cost option.
I have a 1430 so cannot comment on durability of the 180 implements. I will say that the augers are probably the same but the drive head may be beefier on the 1430.

/ Your advice ?
That’s the kind of advice I was looking for. I really don’t think I will be getting a Bobcat just wanted to have the option. I think it would be another PT a 425, but if I did buy a Bobcat, it would be a smaller one with 1,300 lift capability. Not sure what the weight on the smaller Bobcats are, haven’t really looked into it that far. Guess maybe I should.

I was thinking I have my truck bed for fuel and the small equipment like blowers trimmers. The trailer would mostly be for the PT when needed and a couple of commercial mowers.

Now if you don't mind me asking, how do these trailers handle in snow, and ice when in tow with electric brakes do they tend to fish tail with or with out brakes?? Or do you even venture out at all during the bad weather. I was thinking in terms of ice and snow removal using the PT in parking lots ect. Thanks for your reply.

/ Your advice ? #4  
Barryh said:
That’s the kind of advice I was looking for. I really don’t think I will be getting a Bobcat just wanted to have the option. I think it would be another PT a 425, but if I did buy a Bobcat, it would be a smaller one with 1,300 lift capability. Not sure what the weight on the smaller Bobcats are, haven’t really looked into it that far. Guess maybe I should.

I was thinking I have my truck bed for fuel and the small equipment like blowers trimmers. The trailer would mostly be for the PT when needed and a couple of commercial mowers.

Now if you don't mind me asking, how do these trailers handle in snow, and ice when in tow with electric brakes do they tend to fish tail with or with out brakes?? Or do you even venture out at all during the bad weather. I was thinking in terms of ice and snow removal using the PT in parking lots ect. Thanks for your reply.

I recommend that you get brakes on both axles of the trailer. Normally they have it on only one. The upgrade cost was only $140 for mine. Seems like cheap insurance.

/ Your advice ?
BobRip said:
I recommend that you get brakes on both axles of the trailer. Normally they have it on only one. The upgrade cost was only $140 for mine. Seems like cheap insurance.
Thanks Bob, the one I'm looking at does have brakes on both axles. Have you ever taken yours out in snow or ice with a load, or is this just a big No No??

I've never towed a trailer of any kind. Common sence tells me, it could be a real bad move, I have no problem driving around in the stuff in 4x4 when needed normally.

/ Your advice ? #6  
In snow a 6x16 trailer is likely to track in the pickup tracks a 7 or 8x16 will be making new ruts & is dependent on the road characteristics snow depth etc for how interesting it gets.

On ice remember your PU had ABS the trailer does not, I generally throttle back the braking power. You do not want to lock the trailer wheels, result can be an expensive jacknife.

For trailer maneuvering a short wheel base tow vehicle and long WB trailer is easiest, think Semi.

I've seen landscape trailers with expanded metal walls to store all tools - hand, weed wackers, gas cans, etc. PU is used to store crew protective gear, water, etc.

Check the tires on the trailer you are looking at, a 10K may have better tires for curb hopping etc. 7K may be car tires.

A mid size bobcat tips the scales @ 7-9K lbs, add stuff and your whole tow scenario may need to upgrade.

Towing in fowl weather is do-able just slow down for conditions, biggest problem is washing off the road spray & salt from equipment.

/ Your advice ?
BarryinMN said:
In snow a 6x16 trailer is likely to track in the pickup tracks a 7 or 8x16 will be making new ruts & is dependent on the road characteristics snow depth etc for how interesting it gets.

On ice remember your PU had ABS the trailer does not, I generally throttle back the braking power. You do not want to lock the trailer wheels, result can be an expensive jacknife.

For trailer maneuvering a short wheel base tow vehicle and long WB trailer is easiest, think Semi.

I've seen landscape trailers with expanded metal walls to store all tools - hand, weed wackers, gas cans, etc. PU is used to store crew protective gear, water, etc.

Check the tires on the trailer you are looking at, a 10K may have better tires for curb hopping etc. 7K may be car tires.

A mid size bobcat tips the scales @ 7-9K lbs, add stuff and your whole tow scenario may need to upgrade.

Towing in fowl weather is do-able just slow down for conditions, biggest problem is washing off the road spray & salt from equipment.
I was wondering about the trailer tracking or following the tow vehicle. Thank everyone for the info, that's a lot of what I needed to know. The 16 footer I'm looking at comes with 15" car tires. That's a big help in making my decision.

/ Your advice ? #8  
Good advice so far!
I've got a 14' landscape that I pull w/ a F250 & 6.5 bed. The trailer is a little bit wider than the truck but I like that so I can see it in the mirrors better. In the snow, I like to dial down the output on the brake controller just to be safe. Also, if you've ever backed a single axle trailer, a tandem axle is a breeze compared to it.
Also if possible, get some big D-rings welded to tie the PT down. I put 4 on each corner of the trailer.

/ Your advice ?
Highridge said:
Good advice so far!
I've got a 14' landscape that I pull w/ a F250 & 6.5 bed. The trailer is a little bit wider than the truck but I like that so I can see it in the mirrors better. In the snow, I like to dial down the output on the brake controller just to be safe. Also, if you've ever backed a single axle trailer, a tandem axle is a breeze compared to it.
Also if possible, get some big D-rings welded to tie the PT down. I put 4 on each corner of the trailer.
Ahhha... I didn't know they had a dial down. So you can soften the brakes for snow ect... Is that on the installed under dash box ? How is your 14 ft when adding the PT, do you think there would be room for a few walk behind commercial mowers along with the PT, if I were to use the pickup bed for smaller stuff?

/ Your advice ? #10  
I think you could with the 180. With the 1430, I put the grapple bucket in first then the 1430 and just have enough room to close the gate. I should have gotten a 16'. When I move the brush cutter, it has to rest on the front rail.

"Ahhha... I didn't know they had a dial down. So you can soften the brakes for snow ect... Is that on the installed under dash box ?"

That's right. The actual controller that you buy and hookup can adjust how much power goes to the brakes. It helps when you go from carring a light load to a heavy load, like the 1430.